Who's Starfighter Will This Be..?

Started by AeroplaneDriver, January 27, 2022, 10:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Started this a little over a week ago before COVID hit.  Finally had the energy to get out of bed yesterday so managed a little bit of work on it.  No much unfortunately since an hour at the bench had me worn out again.  But I did get the intakes painted.  I'm hoping to mask the canopy and get a primer coat on today. 

Original plan was for a RW RCAF machine but not sure if I have the concentration to make it accurate when it comes to decals and such so now I think it'll be a Whif.  Leaning towards a RAAF in Mirage markings.  Torn between early NMF or late service two-tone gray similar to the RW Mirage schemes.  Or maybe a totally fictional scheme for combat in Vietnam.  Hoping for enough energy to make some progress today. 

Kit is the Hasegawa 1/48 F-104G.  I know the rivet detail is way overdone but it's still a kit I love to build. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

scooter

Bright red with Deutsche Luftstreitkräfte markings?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Steel Penguin

did captain lockheed ever do a visual ?  or am I a step behind  Scooter ?  if so  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

philp

I have recently been thinking about a Swiss 104.  Probably in the grey F-5 scheme.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: philp on January 27, 2022, 05:29:13 PM
I have recently been thinking about a Swiss 104.  Probably in the grey F-5 scheme.

I seriously considered Swiss.  Still not totally ruled out but still strongly leaning Australian.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Wardukw

Ive always liked how the 104 looked in German colours where there ia so many 104s in sliver its just the same thing with different markings.
I do like the Vietnam idea ..that would also work very nicely . ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Devilfish

Dizzyfugu

The RAAF also did some interesting/attractive camouflage experiments on Mirage IIIOs. e.g. these here:

PolluxDeltaSeven

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 27, 2022, 06:56:47 PM
Quote from: philp on January 27, 2022, 05:29:13 PM

I seriously considered Swiss.  Still not totally ruled out but still strongly leaning Australian.

Swiss sounds very good !
RAAF too, but why not RNZAF ? ;)
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

AeroplaneDriver

I love RAF Starfighters, but I've already done two in the past.  Looking for something different.  One thing about an RAAF version is I could make it a Vietnam version which allows for some totally whiffy camo schemes.  Australia wanted to deploy Mirages to support their involvement in Vietnam, but it was politically impossible because of objections from France.  With that aspect removed it's fairly certain that if they had opted for the 104 over the Mirage that they would have seen combat. 

Having said that I do love the gray Mirages the RAAF operated in the 80s and haven't ruled out an updated Starfighter along the lines of the Italian S model carrying Sidewinders and Sparrows. 

Feeling a lot more energy today so hoping to make progress towards the all-important paint decision. 

For now my last Starfighter (no relation to the film), and RAFG one from the early days of lockdown almost two years ago now...

Wardukw

Aero mate i know exactly what you mean about choosing a paint scheme for ya plane..i had the same problem with my P40 twin engined figther..got one now and ill be putting decals on it to day..with your post i think i might to look at getting a 104 in 48th..then ill run straight into the same problem as you again  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

On this RAF Starfighter theme, my first ever Whiff, dated Sept 1972 no less!

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver