Mercster.

Started by zenrat, January 29, 2022, 02:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Mercster.

Mercster - 3 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Mercster is a Hot Rod coupe loosely used on a 49/50 Mercury.  It comes from the fertile imagination of Ed Newton.

Mercster - 21 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

It's a "Slammer" kit from Testors and Jimmy Flintstone.  Slammer meaning there is no interior or chassis detail.  It's just one honking big lump of resin onto which you attach wheels, windows and a few other white metal detail parts.  It's built OOB other than the wheels.

Mercster - 14 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I've had this in my stash for at least 10 years and painted it 3 to 5 years ago.  I just never seemed to get round to assembling it until now.  I think it was the thought of polishing the supplied white metal wheels with all their nooks and crannies to get the polish into that kept me procrastinating.

Mercster - 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

So to avoid that chore I used the wheels from a 1/25 Revell Mustang GT500.

Mercster - 25 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Paint is Zero Paints candies over a silver base (probably car touch-up paint).  I can't remember which clear I used.  It could have been Zero Paints 2 pack, Zero Paints lacquer clear or Automotive clear lacquer.  Whichever one it was i managed a perfect shine straight off the gun.  Which is very very rare for me.  the (two) transfers are from a Revell '32 Ford.  Windows are cut from a piece of clear sheet using (inaccurate) stencils while the windscreen is vacformed.   All were painted black on the inside.

Mercster - 29 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Here it is next to a Revell '49 Mercury for comparison.  Revell Merc comes with a chopped roof but body is otherwise standard length and width.  Scale is 1/25.

Mercster - 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And here is the obligatory shot with the Scale Reference Lego minifig.

Mercster - 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Nice. German TÜV (Technical Supervisory Association) would implode if you wanted to register this car here...  ;D

Mossie

Sleek.  Would have struggled to see the lineage if you hadn't put the two side by side.  You've got a sweet tooth, you're getting some good mileage out of these candy paints.  <_<

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 29, 2022, 03:10:10 AM
Nice. German TÜV (Technical Supervisory Association) would implode if you wanted to register this car here...  ;D

Talking of Germany and 'Merc'-ster it might look good dressed up as a Silver Arrow.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Awesome paint there Fred, and the whole build really.

I'm 'imagineering' the engine and running gear, what's in your mind on that, even though there'll never actually be any?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 29, 2022, 04:18:28 AM
I'm 'imagineering' the engine and running gear, what's in your mind on that, even though there'll never actually be any?

I think a tubular "perimeter" chassis with the floorpan dropped inside it.  Twin wishbone IFS with inboard coilovers.  Twin turbo V6 driving to a Corvette style transverse leaf spring IRS with the 6 speed manual transmission mounted to the diff.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Gorgeous colour scheme mate  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Ive wanted a 49 merc since the i saw the bad movie Cobra ..that car was evil and heres one for you guys..Silvester Stallone still owns it  ;D and he still drives it so even better.
Now to Freds automotive work of art .
Absolutely bang on Fred..perfect paint and colour choose and im not a fan of the those wheels on the Mustang but their perfect for that car ..you nailed it matey  ;D
Now to the fun part  :rolleyes:
My idea for this to roll...and since this is going to be something wicked then wicked is where we shall go.
Carbon fiber chassis..IRS rear from a RS6 Audi..custom front suspension in carbon fiber and Mil spec alloy ..power would be a alloy block 427 and a race spec manualized C6 trans..better for cruseing and when ya need to put your boot in  ;D
The colour and wheels..exactly what Fred has done ..like my long gone ECTO 1 build i i had on here..candi metallic green..i like that colour  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Rumour has it the Revell chopped '49 Merc was modelled on Stallones car.  It certainly caused upset with the  model car JMNs when it was released as it wasn't a "traditional" chop.

Fred

Wardukw

Well the real car was a evil bit of perfection ..they just  got everything right and if revell based their model on it then good on em and if they had a problem getting the roof line right they didnt do to bad a job.
I think 4 cars were made..3 for chases and stunts and one hero car but dont quote me on that..might have been more.
I wonder if the model designers had the chance to talk to the cars builders or did they just wing it when they designed the model.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

I think the "problem" with the Revell Merc's roofline was it didn't ape that of the classic Hirohata Merc...

..which is actually a '51 but is considered THE chopped Mercury.  I have boxes full of magazines about this stuff.  Pretty sure there is a Rodders Journal article on Bob Hirohata's car in there somewhere.  They're in the shed though and its dark out there.
Fred

Wardukw

That is the chop that everyone else copied and in most cases know where near as good.
I had a model of a 50 i brought because of the Cobra car ..i think it was a US Revell but not sure but i do remember what i did with it..pro streeted it with a monster blown big block supercharged V8 and the injector hat was from some model car but it was the same one which was used on Mad Maxs XC Coupe and it was just above to hood/bonnet of the Merc..painted it a dark metallic gun metal..christ that was a great model when done.