F-86 as MiG-17 adversary trainer, Groom Lake *finished*

Started by sandiego89, January 30, 2022, 08:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 13, 2022, 07:17:49 PM
Quote from: zenrat on February 06, 2022, 03:50:55 AM
Probably the right decision as to move them would require major structural changes to the fin.  IRL anyway.  In scale it's obviously much easier.   ;D

FWIW i'd move them.
The model world is so much easier than the real world..lets see how easy it would be to put a MBT turret on top of a HUMVEE in the real world  :wacko:
To be fair, I thought of putting a M163 Vulcan turret on a Humvee, the Italeri kit with the big box on the back, but could never score either kit
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Rick Lowe

Quote from: nighthunter on February 13, 2022, 07:31:19 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 13, 2022, 07:17:49 PM
Quote from: zenrat on February 06, 2022, 03:50:55 AM
Probably the right decision as to move them would require major structural changes to the fin.  IRL anyway.  In scale it's obviously much easier.   ;D

FWIW i'd move them.
The model world is so much easier than the real world..lets see how easy it would be to put a MBT turret on top of a HUMVEE in the real world  :wacko:
To be fair, I thought of putting a M163 Vulcan turret on a Humvee, the Italeri kit with the big box on the back, but could never score either kit

If they put a M-163 turret on a V-100 Commando, and miniguns on things like Land Rovers and Chev Suburbans IRL, surely a Humvee wouldn't be too much of a stretch?
It'd be mainly a matter of enough bracing, I'd have thought - with my all-of-5-minutes of Engineering Expertise.  :rolleyes:

Wardukw

Ok lets get a weee bit techy chaps  ;D
Using the heavy Humvee option which has a strengthened frame ..suspension and braking system and as Rick mentioned a frame to mount it this verison of the Humvee would carry the M163 system with out a problem..for some reason i think ive seen it that done somewhere.
The standard Humvee would carry the M163 but the problems begin with the recoil from the Vulcan ..which is serious ..major suspension compression would make the vehicle pretty unstable and its possible the Humvee would end up on its side.
Mounting the GAU 19 .50cal rotary weapons system on a Humvee was easily done but the vehicle has to have it brakes locked so the recoil wont push the vehicle backwards and thats only a 50 caliber weapon..imgaine a 3000+ rpm cannon firing..would be bloody brilliant  ;)
1500 rpm would be safer i think.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Scotaidh

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 14, 2022, 12:03:41 AM
Using the heavy Humvee option which has a strengthened frame ..suspension and braking system and as Rick mentioned a frame to mount it this verison of the Humvee would carry the M163 system with out a problem..for some reason i think ive seen it that done somewhere.
The standard Humvee would carry the M163 but the problems begin with the recoil from the Vulcan ..which is serious ..major suspension compression would make the vehicle pretty unstable and its possible the Humvee would end up on its side.
Mounting the GAU 19 .50cal rotary weapons system on a Humvee was easily done but the vehicle has to have it brakes locked so the recoil wont push the vehicle backwards and thats only a 50 caliber weapon..imgaine a 3000+ rpm cannon firing..would be bloody brilliant  ;)
1500 rpm would be safer i think.

No problem - just fit quick-acting hydraulic spades, one each side & end, that lift the vehicle just clear of the ground.  Use mercury switches to ensure the whole thing's level, and Robert, as they say, is your mother's brother.
And, before you say it'd add too much weight, it's a specialty vehicle so not too many will be built... I think it's do-able.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

perttime

Real Life aggressors don't have lots of external mods, except for colour schemes. Systems and internal strengthening have been done.

frank2056

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 14, 2022, 12:03:41 AM

This one with a Quad .50?

"NOTHING PERSONAL JUST BUSINESS":

The The M1097 HHMWV can carry 4400 lbs of cargo.

nighthunter

*Firefight in a Middle Eastern city*
US Grunt to the armored Humvee driver: "Back Up! BACK UP!" as RPGs get fired at them and where they'll be. Driver to M163 Gunner: "LIGHT 'EM UP!"
Gunner hits the switch, M163 opens up and suddenly the Humvee does 100mph in reverse... and the RPGs miss. RPG gunners become pink mist. American grunts delivering unhealthcare to the terrorist masses, one ingenious development at a time.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Wardukw

What ya all are thinking about is the M167 Vulcan ..the trailer mounted verison which is the same system as the M163 mounted on the M113.
The idea of the fast deployment legs is a good one and the only annoyance in that is mounting a hydraulic pump ..theres not alot of space under the hood of a Humvee..trust me on that.
The quad .50 is a simple thing to install on anything as it has its own power source and its light compared to the Vulcan..the Vulcan does not have a power mounted on it.it needs a APU to work .
Balance is also a problem and the legs is a great way to sort that out..would need to mount them to the chassis or custom mounts ..the entire body is aluminum and weak but with some thinking it can be sorted..you'd never fire it without them deployed or what Hunter wrote would happen and god id like to see that  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

frank2056

Back to the thread - Dave, how's the Airfix kit?

Also, by law, all Russian aircraft must have wing fences. Good to see that you're complying...

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sandiego89

Quote from: frank2056 on February 16, 2022, 08:58:50 PM

Also, by law, all Russian aircraft must have wing fences. Good to see that you're complying...

Gotta have fences!

The Airfix Sabre/F-86 kit is quite good. First F-86 I have built.  I found the recessed panels line about perfect.  Very crisp mold, and nice detail. Cockpit very basic, but not much to see.   The kit went together easily but did require a bit of putty, especially around the nose intake.  Interestingly I did find the styrene used for the whole kit softer than a normal hard plastic kit.  Not as bad as some eastern bloc kits that seem to be injected molded with soap, but still softer than I am used to. Need to be careful with the sanding or a hobby blade, as it would be easy to gouge deep into the fuselage. Is this softness the norm for newer light gray Airfix kits?       
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Finally back to work.  My hangar project and real-life work got me too busy.

Some really great schemes on the North Vietnam MiGs.  Think I will go with greens 

Dave "Sandiego89"

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kerick

Quote from: frank2056 on February 16, 2022, 08:58:50 PM

It keeps the airflow from defecting!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise