My own TwinFire - No longer a hypothetical!

Started by Pepsi Concorde, February 04, 2022, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 19, 2022, 01:02:26 PM
Pepsi mate have no fear with sheet styrene..its the same stuff your models are made off just in sheet form.
Ive used ..no exaggeration here..thousands of sheets..bar..rod..tubing..angles..you name it..just look at my history on here and you'll see ive used it a heap.
It would curve with little pressure ..it will glue fast to other plastic so your not holding it forever..my fav glue for this is Tamiya extra thin..works a treat .
Don't worry about making mistakes ..the sheets are quite large and you get more than one sheet depending on the thickness..ive got a heap of the stuff but i have to.
.5 mm or .020 thickness is great to work with..thin enough to hold its shape and to bend .
Evergreen ( the main sheet i use ) does a selection pack ..it has .25.. , .5mm and 1.0mm sheet..everything you need to build a wing.
Theres another brand to called Plastruct ..also from the US but its far more expensive and the sheets are smaller.
Best way to get over your fear is get some and play buddy..and once your comfortable with it you'll wonder why you've never used it before  ;D
Thank you Wardukw! I'm already a big fan of Extra Thin, and I'll try to pick up some sheet styrene as soon as i can.
Here are the kits:

Wardukw

Oh clipped winged MK14s ..i like it!!
See right there your being different to other twin spits..never seen one with clipped wings  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Pepsi Concorde

We were talking about this on the other Twinfire thread, but so as not to take over that thread with my build anymore, does anyone have any contraprop units for a spitfire they could send me (pref. 2) as i have no donor kit for them and the only aftermarket i can find is by Barracuda - where you have to buy the hub and blades as seperate sets for £5 each!

The Wooksta!

Try the AZ Spitfire 21, 22, 24 or Seafire 45 & 46 kits.  All come with contraprops.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

perttime

Never having used sheet styrene....

What is the best way to form the straight center wing? Cut a couple of wing roots and use them as templates? Form one sheet to fit inside the wing roots and then glue another over it to get to the external dimensions? I suppose any panel lines will have to be cut by hand.

Wardukw

Perttine working styrene is pretty easy ..if i am going to build a wing shaped form ill template it first in card board for the profile ..length and height.
Marking it for for panel lines i use a Tamiya scriber..its cheap and works and heres a little trick for ya all.
Trumpeter do this sanding set..its very fine sand paper which has a sticky back on it..i use a piece stuck to the back of my 150mm ruler and it stops it sliding when i scribe..works brilliantly.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Pepsi Concorde on February 19, 2022, 04:34:01 PM
We were talking about this on the other Twinfire thread, but so as not to take over that thread with my build anymore, does anyone have any contraprop units for a spitfire they could send me (pref. 2) as i have no donor kit for them and the only aftermarket i can find is by Barracuda - where you have to buy the hub and blades as seperate sets for £5 each!

What scale are we talking about ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 20, 2022, 12:32:57 AM
Quote from: Pepsi Concorde on February 19, 2022, 04:34:01 PM

What scale are we talking about ?
1/48th as thats what the Airfix kits I'm using are in.
Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 19, 2022, 05:59:54 PM
Try the AZ Spitfire 21, 22, 24 or Seafire 45 & 46 kits.  All come with contraprops.
I've already bought a kit however.

perttime

The Airfix Seafire 46/47 kit comes with a five blade prop AND contraprop. Somebody might have the contraprop left over.

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 19, 2022, 09:08:46 PM
Perttine working styrene is pretty easy ..if i am going to build a wing shaped form ill template it first in card board for the profile ..length and height.
Marking it for for panel lines i use a Tamiya scriber..its cheap and works and heres a little trick for ya all.
Trumpeter do this sanding set..its very fine sand paper which has a sticky back on it..i use a piece stuck to the back of my 150mm ruler and it stops it sliding when i scribe..works brilliantly.
This is the stuff right?

Old Wombat

Yep. :thumbsup:

I have quite a bit of it, too. Yet, often, none of, or not enough of exactly what I need, so I go out & buy what I need. It then starts to multiply in the box. Eventually I'll have enough to stock a decent sized hobby store (I currently have more Tamiya paints than the nearest LHS). ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 20, 2022, 04:28:23 AM

I have quite a bit of it, too. Yet, often, none of, or not enough of exactly what I need, so I go out & buy what I need. It then starts to multiply in the box. Eventually I'll have enough to stock a decent sized hobby store (I currently have more Tamiya paints than the nearest LHS). ;)
I envy that paint collection!

Scotaidh

I only buy shaped stuff from places like Evergreen - rods, tubes. angles, etc.  I am fond of their mystery packs, though - gotten some very odd/good stuff from those.  :)

For plastic sheet I generally go to the local dollar (pound) store and buy plastic signs ... Wet Paint, Ladies Room, For Sale By Owner, No Trespassing, etc.  I only care about the thickness of the sign, not what's written on it.  I've gotten some very odd looks from cashiers in my day.  :D
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Wardukw

Yup thats the pack Pepsi mate ..its a good starting point and Guys bang on with all the different bits you can buy.
Scotaidh is on it too..i use Evergreen because its really the only one you can get here and heres one for the lot of you..if you want a massive amount of sheet plastic for absolutely bugger all..plastic shower liner...its styrene and will glue with Revell or Tamiya and it cuts just like the normal stuff.
My WW2 dio with the wiffied Sherman and Tiger is going to get some in the form of a new turret for the Tiger..im turning it into a AA vehicle cause i found a pic of a very cool turret.
I one i brought cost me 5 bucks and if ya ever had a shower  :lol: ya know how big they can be.
The biggest problem with this is trying to find a place to stuff it all  ;D

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 20, 2022, 04:28:23 AM

Given current supply issues here that might not be as much as some people think... :unsure:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..