My own TwinFire - No longer a hypothetical!

Started by Pepsi Concorde, February 04, 2022, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 06, 2022, 01:21:00 PM
Theres quite a few real twin aircraft out there from the DeHavilland Otter
Are you saying there's a twin-engined Otter out there? Or are you confusing it with the Twin Otter which is a completely different airframe? If the former then I would very much like to see it!!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

perttime

...  i believe a twin Piper Cub ...
Never heard of that either but I suppose somebody would want to make one.
I like the Yak-110 (double Yak-55, with a jet engine thrown in):

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/07-27-2018-two-times-55-equals-110

Wardukw

Sometime ago two Otters fuselages were joined together to make a twin Otter and im pretty sure it was fitted with floats at one point.
I know the twin Otter you mean Zac..been on one..one fuselage..2 engines one on each high mounted wing and tricycle landing gear and the one i was on was orange and black  ;D

Ok this is a correction...ita a twin beaver float plane ..repeat a DeHavilland Beaver twin ..seems my memory has gotten a little worse.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Just been looking for more weird aircraft and i found a goodin.
Twin fuselage MIG 15 from Bulgaria..was a bomber/fighter idea and it looks quite cool .
I have a pic of it but i cant put it on here from my phone..one of you chaps would be able to find it and post it here I'll bet.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

perttime

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 07, 2022, 12:13:28 AM
Just been looking for more weird aircraft and i found a goodin.
Twin fuselage MIG 15 from Bulgaria..was a bomber/fighter idea and it looks quite cool .
I have a pic of it but i cant put it on here from my phone..one of you chaps would be able to find it and post it here I'll bet.
On secretprojects, there was a strong suspicion that it was an April Fools' joke ... or maybe not:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/two-fuselage-mig-15-figther-bomber-project-bulgaria.11209/

Dizzyfugu has built one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyfugu/24380693681

Wardukw

If it was a April's fool joke they got in early ..the drawing /pic is from the early 50's and if it was then good on em..more model fodder for us  :wacko:
Lovely build that Thomas did too..his quality of work as normal  ;D

KiwiZac

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 06, 2022, 08:54:24 PM
Sometime ago two Otters fuselages were joined together to make a twin Otter and im pretty sure it was fitted with floats at one point.
[...]
Ok this is a correction...ita a twin beaver float plane ..repeat a DeHavilland Beaver twin ..seems my memory has gotten a little worse.
I have some Googling ahead, I've never heard of this. EDIT: it appears to have been an April Fool's Day gag post by Dave O'Malley of Vintage Wings of Canada, similar to their turboprop Fairey Swordfish article. If someone can find a real one please share!

Quote from: perttime on February 06, 2022, 08:08:55 PM
...  i believe a twin Piper Cub ...
Never heard of that either but I suppose somebody would want to make one.
Look up "Wagner Twin Cub". It's 100% real!!
Zac in NZ

Wardukw

Zac mate if you look for a DHC 2ZB twin Beaver you will find pics of the real thing..i found 3 pics of 3 different aircraft in like 5 seconds..you'll have no worries matey  ;D
All float planes too..even know of a RC one a bloke built.
Ya want something equally different hunt down a DC3/C47 on floats ..this plane has a great history to it  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 10, 2022, 10:58:48 PM

Ya want something equally different hunt down a DC3/C47 on floats ..this plane has a great history to it  :thumbsup:

I built one of them some decades ago. It has trike landing gear, and it's almost impossible to get enough nose weight in there to get it to stand up!

In the RW there was more than one of them, they actually produced conversion kits so that aircraft could be switched from land to sea versions 'in the field'!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Ive done the same sort of thing Kit..but not on a C47..i put the floats from a He 115 ( i think ) onto a JU 88 and then fitted with landing gear and loaded it with a huge amount of air rifle .22 pellets ..stuffed the pellets in the floats and behind the engines.
Oh all the pellets were crushed first.
Did a simlier thing from a stuffed JU 52 float plane too but dont remember what those floats went on now tho. ;D

PR19_Kit

The floats on my C-47 were the largest ones from the vacform set that Aeroclub did, with an inch grafted in at the step and a 1/8" spacer all along the centre line. The floats, the engines, the nose AND the cockpit are all full of lead!

But the stupidest thing about the C-47C is that the floats AREN'T mounted on the centre line of the engines, they're offset inwards about a scale foot or two, goodness knows why. Getting all those struts at the correct angles was a real PITA!

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Zac mate if you look for a DHC 2ZB twin Beaver you will find pics of the real thing..i found 3 pics of 3 different aircraft in like 5 seconds..you'll have no worries matey  ;D
Please check your PMs, I don't want to continue this ludicrous derailing of poor Pepsi Concorde's excellent build idea.
Zac in NZ

Wardukw

Kit if you look at the C47 from above im pretty sure the engines are at a angle away from the fuselage..that could be the reason.

PR19_Kit

They are yes, but it would have been much simpler for them to attach the floats to the main gear points, and directly below them.

Regards
Kit

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: KiwiZac on February 11, 2022, 03:55:27 PM
Please check your PMs, I don't want to continue this ludicrous derailing of poor Pepsi Concorde's excellent build idea.
Ah its alright, i'm open to seeing any and all twin fuselage ideas.