My own TwinFire - No longer a hypothetical!

Started by Pepsi Concorde, February 04, 2022, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Good on ya Pepsi mate  :thumbsup:.
Even if the planes are real or fake its all good ..the Germans were seriously looking at joining 2 Me 109s together as some form of fighter..high altitude id bet and of course the HE 111 twin glider tug..that was cool ..i had the Italeri 72nd model of that.
That raises a question..ive had hundreds of model planes ..especially when i was a kid..and my question is...where the hell did they all go ?? ..bet you guys might have simlier thoughts at some point.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 12, 2022, 11:45:15 AM

That raises a question..ive had hundreds of model planes ..especially when i was a kid..and my question is...where the hell did they all go ?? ..bet you guys might have simlier thoughts at some point.

No, I've still got most of them, they're stacked in BIG boxes for shows, or sitting on shelves all over the house.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Kit your lucky or unlucky  :lol:
The only thing i have left is one set of rocket pods of a Airfix 24th scale Harrier ..everything else is history and forgotten.
I had a large bedroom as a kid and every bit of money i got went on model planes and at one point my ceiling had so many they were hanging at different levels but still hitting eachother..i did get dive bombed one night by my Monogram B29..that hurt.  :lol:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

I'm VERY lucky really, been in the right place at the right time for so many things. Had a wonderful wife, and I know many of you lot. What's not to like?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Gotta agree with ya Kit..ok so yip i should be dead like 5 times now but still kicking ..im building models i enjoy building with a great bunch of blokes with a very similar mind set..i have a roof over my head ..yeah things aint bad at all. ;D

Pepsi Concorde

perttime

Do you need a radar operator or navigator? Or just a second pilot for really long missions?

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: perttime on February 16, 2022, 04:32:17 AM
Do you need a radar operator or navigator? Or just a second pilot for really long missions?
Well I've decided on long range recon over the Pacific as part of Tiger Force so probably a second pilot but it depends.

Scotaidh

Quote from: Pepsi Concorde on February 16, 2022, 04:35:54 AM
Quote from: perttime on February 16, 2022, 04:32:17 AM
Well I've decided on long range recon over the Pacific as part of Tiger Force so probably a second pilot but it depends.

Then what you really want is either a Sea Hornet or Sea Mosquito - fast, deadly, huge payload for lots of cameras and/or extra fuel ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Pepsi Concorde

True Scot, but I believe Tiger Force had plans for those IRL and the Twinfires could complement them in Whiff-World!
I am planning to maximise fuel capacity though - I'll add the slipper tanks to both fuselages and possibly some extra storage in the wings, removing a pilot would of course allow for more fuel to be carried.

Wardukw

Remember one quite important thing Pepsi mate..you can have a plane with all the fuel possible but if you expect a single pilot to fly a heavy recon bird for more than 10 hrs ..he'd have to be a superman..and remember auto pilot in those days wasnt much if anything at all..just will be far to busy for a single guy ..its why the F-82 had 2 pilots..one flew..one rested because they had to be alert for the entire flight.

Pepsi Concorde

Kits ordered!

I went with the Airfix FR.XIV in 1/48th as I've heard good things about it and it seems to be the easiest base to make my Twinfire (thinking Supermarine Albatross) into a full-blown PR version. I might not start this build for a while however.

Plus using some Amazon vouchers I was given for Christmas meant it was only a tenner for the two kits!

Wardukw

Great news Pepsi..it has begun  ;D
Oh if ya want to make life easy for yourself leave the second cockpit in place..its a hell of alot of work to cut the fuselage down to streamline it and then make it look like it was never there.

Pepsi Concorde

Well the kits arrived today and I'm having second thoughts. The Spitfire wing is more elliptical than i thought, so if i did cut and use the kit parts as per my original plan (I have asked Steelpillow about how he made the centre section on his), quite a bit of puttying would be required. I have never used Plasticard before so am unsure about it.

Wardukw

Pepsi mate have no fear with sheet styrene..its the same stuff your models are made off just in sheet form.
Ive used ..no exaggeration here..thousands of sheets..bar..rod..tubing..angles..you name it..just look at my history on here and you'll see ive used it a heap.
It would curve with little pressure ..it will glue fast to other plastic so your not holding it forever..my fav glue for this is Tamiya extra thin..works a treat .
Don't worry about making mistakes ..the sheets are quite large and you get more than one sheet depending on the thickness..ive got a heap of the stuff but i have to.
.5 mm or .020 thickness is great to work with..thin enough to hold its shape and to bend .
Evergreen ( the main sheet i use ) does a selection pack ..it has .25.. , .5mm and 1.0mm sheet..everything you need to build a wing.
Theres another brand to called Plastruct ..also from the US but its far more expensive and the sheets are smaller.
Best way to get over your fear is get some and play buddy..and once your comfortable with it you'll wonder why you've never used it before  ;D