The Results Are In! And The Winner Is....

Started by AeroplaneDriver, February 09, 2022, 03:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

First off, 14 completed builds/profiles and 44 members voting.  A VERY respectable turnout for this GB on both fronts.  Thanks for the great efforts gentlemen!!

It ended up being very close at the top, and I'm happy to say that every single entry got a respectable share of the votes.  But without further adieu...the results.

3rd Place with 13 votes-Zenrat's Judean People's Front Gun Car

2nd Place with 20 votes-Dizzyfugu's MV-10H Super Bronco

and the winner...

1st Place with 22 votes-SanDiego89's P-5 Marlin Gunship

Well done to everyone!  Great efforts all around!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kerick

Well deserved awards and shining examples of whiffness!  :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Speaking for myself it was some very difficult choices.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Well done, gentlemen! Well deserved! :thumbsup:

All three were in my Top 6 but, unfortunately, only one survived into my Top 3. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nighthunter

Um, not to be an donkey, but I think we need a do-over, I voted on my drawing, Dizzy's MV-10 and his Monitor, but the vote results are showing that I voted for two other models. I also voted before the addition of the final entry was added.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: nighthunter on February 09, 2022, 08:05:21 PM
Um, not to be an donkey, but I think we need a do-over, I voted on my drawing, Dizzy's MV-10 and his Monitor, but the vote results are showing that I voted for two other models. I also voted before the addition of the final entry was added.

I give up.   :banghead:

If Chris or Crudebuteffective want to jump in and redo the polling so everyone is happy have at it. 

nighthunter

I'm not unhappy, I just wanted to address the issue that I noticed. I don't know how many votes were placed before things got changed. AeroplaneDriver, thanks for all your hard work and trying to make it work, it's not easy and you did great, all things considered. I doubt anyone could have foreseen an issue like this.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: nighthunter on February 09, 2022, 09:23:58 PM
I'm not unhappy, I just wanted to address the issue that I noticed. I don't know how many votes were placed before things got changed. AeroplaneDriver, thanks for all your hard work and trying to make it work, it's not easy and you did great, all things considered. I doubt anyone could have foreseen an issue like this.

Well I imagine the issue with your votes was that you clicked the box at the top of your choice instead of the bottom with the description.  I cannot fathom another reason for it showing other choices than you thought you picked. As for the late entry, all I can say is that I advise future moderators that if someone can't get their entry in the Finished Builds thread in two weeks with multiple reminders of the upcoming close then they are screwed.  Don't be Mr Nice Guy and try to accommodate them because it just pisses people off.  I see that we are now considering adding to GB blanket rules that entries need to be posted in the Finished Builds thread.  I guess this is the same mentality that leads to warnings on bottles of bleach not to drink it. 

nighthunter

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on February 09, 2022, 09:28:42 PM
Quote from: nighthunter on February 09, 2022, 09:23:58 PM

Well I imagine the issue with your votes was that you clicked the box at the top of your choice instead of the bottom with the description.  I cannot fathom another reason for it showing other choices than you thought you picked. As for the late entry, all I can say is that I advise future moderators that if someone can't get their entry in the Finished Builds thread in two weeks with multiple reminders of the upcoming close then they are screwed.  Don't be Mr Nice Guy and try to accommodate them because it just pisses people off.  I see that we are now considering adding to GB blanket rules that entries need to be posted in the Finished Builds thread.  I guess this is the same mentality that leads to warnings on bottles of bleach not to drink it. 
That's possible. I'm sorry that this whole thing has caused the issues it has, and I didn't want to add to them.

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot, and gratulation to the (other) winners!  :lol:

And, again, many thanks to the organizational team behind this, and the wise moderation of the voting issues (which also taught a lesson about future rules, polling procedures and deadlines  ;)).

zenrat

Woohoo!  Bronze!
Thank you and well done everyone.  Mods, entrants, and casual observers.

Ticking the wrong box is an issue when images are added to the poll.  It automatically aligns the tick box with the bottom of the image which can be confusing, especially if bigger images are used.

<edit - corrected.  I really must pay attention.>
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AndrewF

Well done to the top 3 - well deserved! (I voted for two of them  ;D). And well done to the mods - it's not an easy task (speaking from experience of moderating a group on Facebook...). And a good showing from everyone who participated & voted.

Regarding the mechanics of the poll, I agree that the format is confusing if you don't examine the whole list very carefully. Speaking as a professional UX designer, this is something that could (and should) be addressed - things like this must be easily assimilated to avoid folk voting for the wrong entry etc.

I don't know what formatting options are available on this board, but the layout could be improved - for example more white space between entries, voting buttons aligned horizontally to the right of each image, stuff like that. There are similar layout problems with the results as well - everything is crammed together, the voting numbers + percentages and the results bar are not easy to distinguish, and so on. This isn't a criticism of the mods - more of the formatting tools available on the board to run votes and display the results. Also things like this should be as easy to see and react to on mobile/tablet as on a laptop/desktop. In general, if the user has to "work out" what's going on, the interface isn't well designed - it should be obvious and clear. But as I said, there are obviously technical limitations with the poll creation "engine" here. 

perttime

Quote from: AndrewF on February 10, 2022, 07:34:44 AM

Regarding the mechanics of the poll, I agree that the format is confusing if you don't examine the whole list very carefully. Speaking as a professional UX designer, this is something that could (and should) be addressed - things like this must be easily assimilated to avoid folk voting for the wrong entry etc.

I don't know what formatting options are available on this board, but the layout could be improved - for example more white space between entries, voting buttons aligned horizontally to the right of each image, stuff like that. ...
Agreed.
I recall that some voting polls have been easier to use. Formatted so that it is easier to see what you are doing. Only small images in the poll, or something? Finding them to figure out which, would require a dive into old group builds.

kitbasher

Speaking as someone who's acted as a GB Moderator in the past, the illustrated polls have been a recent innovation.  I like them but they're a lot of work to set them up (I set up the Recce GB poll, so speaking from experience), so full marks to anyone who a) mods a GB, and b) runs the poll (with or without pictures).  If anyone can come up with a better polling system then please do step forward and help the rest of us out.  Note though that illustrations are not obligatory, but they do (IMHO) improve the polling experience (no need to constantly go back and forth between the poll and the individual subjects).
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

loupgarou

Thanks to the mods, and congratulations to the  winners, and to all the participants.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

TomZ

I think in the present forum software we cannot influence the way the polls work or look.
Using smaller pictures helps in my opinion.

For the Whiffies I think I will stick to the "old fashioned" way of having poll entries without pictures and the pictures in the text beneath.
However I'm open to suggestions to make thing better next year.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency