RAAF Lockheed F-104K Starfighter

Started by AeroplaneDriver, February 09, 2022, 04:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

I completely and unapologetically love it. Bravo!!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

nighthunter

Beautiful job on my least liked American interceptor. I heard stories of our European allies that hated the type because it was touted by Lockheed officials to NATO allies as multirole, and they lost a few good pilots for using it as it was NEVER intended to be used.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Wardukw

Say anything to get sales hunter mate..who cares who dies thousands of miles away..we're making crap loads of cash hence the BS .
Ive always liked the 104 mainly cause ita built for speed and i like speed  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Pellson

Quote from: nighthunter on February 10, 2022, 05:46:21 PM
Beautiful job on my least liked American interceptor. I heard stories of our European allies that hated the type because it was touted by Lockheed officials to NATO allies as multirole, and they lost a few good pilots for using it as it was NEVER intended to be used.

Ah, most of those stories were actually paper ducks and not so much embraced by the different services flying zippers. I once spoke at length with an Italian ex-zipper driver who rather adamantly defended his mount. Also the Danes, where I have some 2nd hand intel, seems to have liked their Starfighters.
And if you look at statistics, all the first generation Mach 2 fighters had rather similar loss rates.

In Germany, where most of these stories origin, initial losses were high, but as soon as it was realised that the training syllabus wasn't up to the demands put on new pilots, and this was corrected, losses stabilised on a more normal level. That also goes for the Lightning in RAF and the Draken in Sweden.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

AeroplaneDriver

Thanks fellas!! 

Regarding accident rates I have also read that the German weather was something of a factor early on for the Luftwaffe aircraft as it's apprently not the easiest thing to fly in instrument conditions.  I seem to remember some correlation of higher accident rates for operations in areas with worse weather.  And as mentioned early Mach 2 fighters all came with a level of risk few would accept these days. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

jcf

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Very nice build Nick  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Pellson on February 12, 2022, 02:42:06 PM

And if you look at statistics, all the first generation Mach 2 fighters had rather similar loss rates.

I spent my working life with statistics. What answer would you like sir ?  :angel: ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Stratos

Lovely paintscheme and nice background story, can you ellaborate a bit more about the Aussie modifications? Would have loved to see it armed tough!

Captain Canada

Hoe'd I miss this one ? One of my favourite, most coolest aeroplanes done by one my favourite, most coolest builders ? Love it ! It might have alot of rivets, but with your excellent paint work they blend right in and look like part of the weathering. Nice back strory as well.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

HarryPhishnuts