Memorial Ship "Old Zausel" (WIP)

Started by nönöbär, February 13, 2022, 04:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

I am now starting a new, unplanned project, which has a special meaning to me.

Last week, my father died unexpectedly after a short and serious illness. Because of him, I started my interest in naval history as a kid and we built my first scale models together.
He only did build a few models, but his "masterpiece" was a 1:350 RC Tirpitz based on a Tamiya kit, made about 35-40 years ago.

When checking his belongings, I found an unfinished model of the Steamer "Goethe", he bought and started to build in the early 1990s. I now want to build this one as a "mild WhatIf", so only a few changes and rename it to "Alter Zausel" (Old Zausel) as this was the nickname he gave himself in the last years.

So this is the box of the model, its in 1/160 scale and 50 cm long. As this is N-gauge for model trains, i should be able to get some nice figures for it.

Inside the box, only a few parts were built so far. And I doubt that the paint is still good (will use Aqua color anyway).

As I will make this besides my other projects, it will take some time, but I want to make this as a memory to the Old Zausel.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

zenrat

I feel for you mate.  It must be hard.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, mate! :(

My father died a bit over 30 years ago, now, & you get used to it, eventually, but I still miss him from time to time.

Completing his Goethe is a great tribute! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

What a wonderful idea, well done.

Good to see your Engineer is on the case too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

Oof, I'm sorry to hear about your father. My Dad is an avid N-scale modeler, and got me into 1/144 scale modeling. I'm going to have quite the collection of 1/144 when he passes away. Anywho, there are several German manufacturers of figures in that scale, many pre-painted.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

nönöbär

Thank you all for your words.

I know this is the normal way of life, but still as its very fresh, its not so easy right now. But building something brings me into other thoughts. And of course I there is the help pf my engineer and his friends (I think I never mentioned that there are a lot of them hanging around here....)

I also have a N-gauge railway, so I think I still have some figures left, but there should be enough options to find some more.

--------------------

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 13, 2022, 05:54:25 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, mate! :(

My father died a bit over 30 years ago, now, & you get used to it, eventually, but I still miss him from time to time.

Completing his Goethe is a great tribute! :thumbsup:

My dad died 30 years ago this May rather unexpectedly and I could not of put it better. A wonderful tribute  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

My condolences and prayers for your loss. I hope the build tribute helps. Lost my Dad just a year ago and it still hurts sometimes.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

nönöbär

My father only build the paddle wheels of the ship so far - which were the first steps in the instructions. As I need to get some paint (it uses some colors I normally do not use), I started to paint the paddle wheels:

Btw, the original ship, build in 1913 is still in use as a tourist ship on the Rhine river. In 2008/2009 the original steam engine was replaced by two diesel engines and additional bow and stern thrusters were added.

--------------------

nönöbär

Hmm, somehow I underestimated the size of this ship. Will be a challenge to find a place for it once it is completed.

But now some first colors have arrived.

Working a bit on the main deck

--------------------

Old Wombat

A challenge? :unsure:

Perhaps, but one I'm sure you'll overcome! :thumbsup:

PS: It's almost the perfect size for a kayak for your engineer! ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 27, 2022, 03:14:34 AM

I was thinking more of a single sculls, but same track  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 27, 2022, 05:42:47 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on February 27, 2022, 03:14:34 AM

I was thinking more of a single sculls, but same track  ;)

Nah, sculls are a bit longer & narrower (ex-rower). ;)

PR19_Kit

It's a heavyweight scull, for engineers with HUGE brains, as Nonobar's surely has.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit