Memorial Ship "Old Zausel" (WIP)

Started by nönöbär, February 13, 2022, 04:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

The upper deck is now in place and my engineer had some drama again. Then trying to add the stairs to the main deck, they fell into the already closed part of the ship, so a bigger hole had to be made to get those stairs out angina. Luckily, this hole will not be visible later.

At least the little passengers on the main deck are visible a bit.

Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Going along well.  :thumbsup:

And even though you may not be able to see details, there are still shapes and splashes of colour inside, so that adds a bit of visual interest.

nönöbär

Currently working one a real-life 1:1 scale project where I need the help of my engineer. The project contains painting a lot, so my engineer took the brushed use for scale modeling and started to paint. Will need a bit more time this way.

Therefore, progress on the "Old Zausel" is only slow, but s bit more work is done now.

In the meantime, some more figures for the ship arrived, this time much better quality (but much more expensive) as those inside the ship.
The old Zausel will be one of those here:

And more passenger, but they have to be painted.

--------------------

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

and good progress is the best kind  :thumbsup:  and still looking good.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nönöbär

The upper deck is now beginning to be filled with passengers:

Tried to paint those 1:!60 scale figures, which is very time consuming.... I fear I need a "few" one of those.

--------------------

zenrat

How many are you planning to paint?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nönöbär

Quote from: zenrat on June 26, 2022, 03:35:06 AM

I would say at least 20 or so. Right now, I have 3 completed...

--------------------

zenrat

Quote from: nönöbär on June 30, 2022, 12:49:48 PM
Quote from: zenrat on June 26, 2022, 03:35:06 AM

I would say at least 20 or so. Right now, I have 3 completed...

Slow and steady batch painting is the way.  Go through and paint all the faces and hands (and any bare legs), then all the shirts, then all the trousers/skirts, then all the shoes...
But vary the colours (especially skin and hair).  You'll be able to get away with just wiping the brush between colours as it won't matter if they are not accurate due to a little mixing.
At least that's the way i'd do it.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

nönöbär

Quote from: zenrat on July 01, 2022, 03:56:34 AM
Slow and steady batch painting is the way.  Go through and paint all the faces and hands (and any bare legs), then all the shirts, then all the trousers/skirts, then all the shoes...
But vary the colours (especially skin and hair).  You'll be able to get away with just wiping the brush between colours as it won't matter if they are not accurate due to a little mixing.
At least that's the way i'd do it.

This is more or less how I am doing it. Unfortunately, my "real-life 1:1 scale project" takes up too much time right now, so I only can proceed slowly for the ship. But there is some slow progress :)

--------------------

zenrat

This is special.  And on the special ones you need to give them the time they deserve.
Fred

nönöbär

The top deck is now also filled with seats, tables and passengers, but i will add a few of the newly painted "good" figures in the part of the back of the ship before closing it.

Those are the painted figures so far. The Old Zausel himself is below the 1 cent coin. For comparison, right of the coin is one of those cheap Chinese made figures i used inside, the others are much more detailed. And more are still under construction. 

Talking about the Old Zausel: I found another unfinished model in my fathers house. Its a paper model of the old German Battleship "Schleswig Holstein". I know he started it in the early 1980s, but never completed it. However, the set still seems to be complete. I made a few paper models as a teenager, and this was not my thing. So i don not know if I should build it.
There is another paper ship that was not started, the "Berlin", a passenger ship of the 1950s or 1960s. Must be also from the early 1980s.

--------------------