Skymaster R.1

Started by Devilfish, February 17, 2022, 11:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

In the late 60's the Royal Marines were called upon to contain several "situations" around the world.  It became clear that they could do with their own dedicated recon and observation platform, that could be flown from the smaller fleet carriers. A fixed wing aircraft was deemed the best solution, but the FAA objected to the RM having fixed wing, so they commandeered the order.  The new Cessna O-2 Skymaster, in use in Vietnam seemed to be a good choice, as it had speed, range, room for equipment and could carry weapons if required.  Four were purchased and sent to Marshalls of Cambridge for Navalisation.  This included adding an arrestor hook, beefing up the main undercarriage, and making the wings fold.

Initially flown in FAA Extra Dark Sea Grey and White, but later changed to all over EDSG, and then finally RM green, when they eventually took control of them in the late 70's

Kit is the ICM 1/48 O-2, which is a lovely little kit.  The only drawbacks are the fact that you need to somehow fit 10g of weight in the tiny nose. Even Liquid Gravity was a challenge!  The other in the main U/C legs are very week and splay out when the weight of the kit is applied.  I got around this by fitting extra strengthening, but if I do another, I'll buy the metal undercarriage.

20220217_210713 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20220217_210728 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20220217_210725 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20220217_210804 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20220217_210735 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20220217_210754 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

McColm

crudebuteffective

when i saw skymaster R1

I expected to see a large recon platform (airliner size etc)

what a  surprise

nice work :thumbsup:
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

Dizzyfugu

Pellson

Awesome idea! And really well executed!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 18, 2022, 03:01:42 AM
Quote from: Pellson on February 18, 2022, 12:37:12 AM
Awesome idea! And really well executed!  :thumbsup:

Agreed  :thumbsup:

I concur with the honourable gentlemen's  verdict!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

stevehed

Nice. Always liked this type. Memories going but did Airfix do a 1/72 version. Might have been one of my brother's builds.

NARSES2

Quote from: stevehed on February 18, 2022, 04:09:37 AM
Nice. Always liked this type. Memories going but did Airfix do a 1/72 version. Might have been one of my brother's builds.

Yes they did and it's old enough to have appeared in plastic bag style packaging as well as a box  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 18, 2022, 05:57:09 AM

Yes they did and it's old enough to have appeared in plastic bag style packaging as well as a box  ;D

Didn't this once appear as a Dogfight Double Airfix kit with a Mig 21?.........or has my memory lapsed AGAIN?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on February 18, 2022, 06:05:37 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 18, 2022, 05:57:09 AM

Didn't this once appear as a Dogfight Double Airfix kit with a Mig 21?.........or has my memory lapsed AGAIN?

Well if your memory has mine's joined it.  ;D Yes it did

PR19_Kit

A cracking job you've made of that, and with a very plausible backstory too.  :thumbsup:

That's JUST what the RN would have done too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Not bargging but ive been in a Skymaster but didnt look anything like this one and my rules apply..its got 2 engines and i like anything with 2 engines and this is worth liking..beautiful build for such a small model..i like this alot  ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

KiwiZac

What an inspired idea, lovely work! Now dreaming about one in AAC camo...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates