Mr Models blown away by Storm Eunice

Started by Nick, February 19, 2022, 08:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

There's a picture on FB of a field next to the A37 strewn with model kits and paints. Mr Models were on their way to the Bovington show last night when their truck was caught by the wind. It ripped the cargo box wide open and the contents were blown away.

Happily the driver and passenger are unhurt  <_< but it may be a while till they get back to shows again.  :angry:

Halfway down the page here (CTRL-F search for A37 and it'll show up): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10526903/How-forecaster-Michael-Fish-infamously-told-nation-not-worry-1987-Great-Storm.html

Knightflyer

Glad to hear no-one was hurt

but I have to wonder - do salvage rights apply on land?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

loupgarou

Quote from: Knightflyer on February 19, 2022, 09:03:21 AM
Glad to hear no-one was hurt

but I have to wonder - do salvage rights apply on land?

A wonderful opportunity for the pirate/smugglers GB !
What's better than a build from a kit salvaged from a wreck? A direct link to some english traditions, the wreckers along some coasts...
And even without the need of lighting a bonfire to simulate a lighthouse...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

DogfighterZen

Glad everyone involved is ok but, that has to be a huge financial loss... hope they can salvage most of it and be able to still sell them, even if they're losing money on the sales, at least it wouldn't be a total loss.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

I think that my trip home tomorrow my go via the A37.................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Just glad everyone's ok and hope they were insured, but somehow I doubt it  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

The warnings about the strength of the storm and the potential for damage
were explicit, so why were they out driving a flippin' flat-sided high-centered
box van in those conditions? No sympathy from this quarter.
:rolleyes:

zenrat

Why do people go and stand on the beach and use their phone to film the huge waves coming at them?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on February 20, 2022, 02:37:20 AM
Why do people go and stand on the beach and use their phone to film the huge waves coming at them?

Lack of brain? Or maybe they wanna make a video of their death in hopes it goes viral and they become famous? ;D ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Freightdog862

I would hope they have insurance to cover goods in transit (I have it free with my show liability cover), there must be ten grand worth at least in that van. If so the insurance would hopefully pay out, not sure if they could sell whats left as it might become property of the insurers?

it probably seemed like a good idea when they left, I've seen them load the van and its like a jigsaw puzzle getting it all in, rammed to the top.

Colin 

PR19_Kit

Sadly the met Office in the UK seem to be 'over forecasting' these days, ever since the disaster of Michael Fish's 1987 storm forecast.

They now run the risk of Crying Wolf and people will stop believing them in future, just as we do with motorway warning signs of 'Incidents'
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 20, 2022, 09:12:34 AM
Sadly the met Office in the UK seem to be 'over forecasting' these days, ever since the disaster of Michael Fish's 1987 storm forecast.

I've always felt sorry for Michael Fish.   Meteorologically, he was totally accurate........a hurricane is defined as  a TROPICAL revolving storm, and  southern England  isn't in the tropics. 

If you ever do get a chance to listen to the whole  forecast, he does continue by saying  "....but there will be some very strong winds and you should take precautions......"   He also said, later in the forecast that  ".....the Met Office are not sure of the exact course  of the storm, current thinking is it will hit northern France, but this may change  northwards........"

Trouble is, people listen to the first two sentences of a forecast then mentally switch off.     The Shipping Forecast is always worth paying attention to................although I do like Mike Harding's take on this  "........and for vessels in the Alston area; P***off, there's no water...."
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

I used to listen to the Shiping forcast every morning, when I was doing my square bashing back in the late 70's.' Always got lots of comments about who was getting it worse today compaired to the previous days forcast and the like. The shipping forcast was on the radio before we needed to be up and the extra time was always useful.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

jcf

Quote from: Rheged on February 20, 2022, 09:35:41 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 20, 2022, 09:12:34 AM

I've always felt sorry for Michael Fish.   Meteorologically, he was totally accurate........a hurricane is defined as  a TROPICAL revolving storm, and  southern England  isn't in the tropics. 

If you ever do get a chance to listen to the whole  forecast, he does continue by saying  "....but there will be some very strong winds and you should take precautions......"   He also said, later in the forecast that  ".....the Met Office are not sure of the exact course  of the storm, current thinking is it will hit northern France, but this may change  northwards........"

Trouble is, people listen to the first two sentences of a forecast then mentally switch off.     The Shipping Forecast is always worth paying attention to................although I do like Mike Harding's take on this  "........and for vessels in the Alston area; P***off, there's no water...."

Also in 1986 during the storm the UK was hit by a weather phenomenon that was at the time unknown.
Kinda hard to forecast for something of that sort.

NARSES2

Quote from: Freightdog862 on February 20, 2022, 08:16:52 AM
not sure if they could sell whats left as it might become property of the insurers?

Obviously depends on what exactly the claim is for, but when it comes to loss of property anything that the insurers pay out on then becomes there property, even if it's just for scrap.

Whilst they may be insured for the loss of the models themselves a bigger loss could actually be loss of business whilst trying to replace the stock. You can insure against that, but all depends on the policy. Also depends on what the Loss Adjusters have to say  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.