DONE +++ Project "Bombus": a PantherG tribute build (Zlin Z-37A; OK-BOM)

Started by Dizzyfugu, February 21, 2022, 12:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

That is so, so cool! What a fantastic model and a great tribute to a forum stalwart.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

loupgarou

Fantastic job! Crazy painting work. I would  never been able to paint all the decoration in a proper way.  :o
As I am a lazy bum, I'd have printed decals directly from the drawings.  :rolleyes:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

I have seen dudes turn an engine backwards a couple of times and then turn it the right way before..the reason...no idea at all  ;D
Could be either to loosen the motor up before starting if its been sitting to long..i have done it with car engines so this might be the case...or Dizzy made a bo bo  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

They do that to pre-lubricate the cylinder bores, or that's what a friend at Shuttleworth told me. Apparently it's done much more commonly with radials than win in-lines, but I've no idea why.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Oh that makes sense..a radial being round is more likely to have oil settle in the bottom cylinders and drain from the top..inlines or V configured engines have channels built into the heads to hold oil in the heads to lubricate the valves and springs and im pretty sure there is no oil sump on a radial engine if there is then its a tank with a oil pump feeding the engine by pipes or hard lines .
Or something like that  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

The old WW1 radials & rotaries had sufficiently low pressure that they could be turned by hand to move the pistons to drain the lower cylinders of pooled oil & fuel, & to lubricate the cylinders prior to start up.

As radials got bigger & more powerful this became the job of the starter motor, which was activated for a few revolutions before the magnetos were turned on.

This was still the procedure on S-2E/G Trackers when I served in the 1980's to prevent hydrolock.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on February 25, 2022, 09:34:51 AM

As I am a lazy bum, I'd have printed decals directly from the drawings.  :rolleyes:

I'd have persuaded someone to do the "decals" for me  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: loupgarou on February 25, 2022, 09:34:51 AM

Thank you. Decals were actually an option, but there were certain drawbacks. First, I cannot print in white and the potential white decal film that I could have used lacks opacity. Tghis would have looked quite ugly, and matching a transparent film with the black vein structure over a painted white base would have been messy, with no visible benefit over a fully painted solution. Another problem: the Z-37's wing surfaces are ribbed, and placing decals onto this surface, esp. when these are delicate home-printed stuff, would be an invitation to desaster. Again, painting would be - despite problems in itself - the "safer" solution. And it did not turn out bad at all, the (small) investment into a black enamel paint pen paid out.  ;D

The Rat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 25, 2022, 09:33:06 PM
I have seen dudes turn an engine backwards a couple of times and then turn it the right way before..the reason...no idea at all  ;D
Could be either to loosen the motor up before starting if its been sitting to long..i have done it with car engines so this might be the case...or Dizzy made a bo bo  :lol:

When I was a ramp rat we were instructed to not turn the motor backward, apparently it can kick back, and possibly severely damage one's fingers. Might have been a myth just to scare us.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 26, 2022, 12:08:05 AM
They do that to pre-lubricate the cylinder bores, or that's what a friend at Shuttleworth told me. Apparently it's done much more commonly with radials than win in-lines, but I've no idea why.

Yes, more common with radials because the oil can drain from the top and settle in the bottom. Sometimes done with horizontally opposed engines, especially in cold weather and prior to hand-flipping the prop. Done that a number of times.

Wardukw

Rat man that is a myth ..some of the engines ive rebuilt have been locked up  dew to sitting..you can it when it is still in a car because the motor wont run until you tell it too..ive done it dozens of times..never had a problem.
Did have a mate who welded his watch to his wrist when he tried to remove a lead from a battery and arced it with the spanner he used..i never wear a watch when working on cars ..not for that reason..just keeps getting in the way.

zenrat

My wedding ring has a crater melted in it which is the result of putting a screwdriver into a light fitting.
I still wear it when working on stuff but now I turn the power off at the mains and not just at the light switch.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..