Vultee Vengeance ideas...

Started by The Rat, February 23, 2022, 09:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Got the Frog/Novo kit in the assembly stage, doing it wheels up because I don't trust the gear mounts - no locating holes, just glue the top of the leg to the inside of the upper wing portion. Just doesn't seem right. HARUMPH! I will probably use the Australian markings supplied.

But you have to know that I want to whiff it somehow. Torpedo dropper instead of dive bomber? Gunnery trainer with a turret in back? Those are the two possibilities lingering in my mind, but I would need to source a torpedo, possibly from a Swordfish kit, which I don't have. Turret I can get from my old Airfix, or new Airfix, Defiants.

Power was a bit of a problem on the old gal, I was thinking of maybe a Merlin variant with a chin radiator. Tried the nose that I sawed off the Airfix Fairey Battle to make the radial engine one, bit it's a little narrow for the fuselage. Probably need to get the calipers out and measure a few other stash items, or dusty derelicts dating anywhere from the 1960s.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

63cpe

If power was the problem maybe put a R3350 (B-29 engine) in front or, just a little later, in real life, a R4360 ( B-50/C-97).. However this was done in real life as the XA-31B&C.

For alternative purpose of the plane I was thinking about cropduster or war surplus post delivery plane in the outback (idea "borrowed" from a converted Stuka whiffed as such as seen on this forum).

Maybe put it on floats? Change the gear by a spatted fixed gear ( date it back in real-life history)

David aka 63cpe

Geoff

PR19_Kit

Stick a Python on there, that'll solve the power problem.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Worn out squadron hack, mismatched/faded paint, oil streaks, wtc.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Mossie

Quote from: The Rat on February 23, 2022, 09:46:12 AM
Torpedo dropper instead of dive bomber? Gunnery trainer with a turret in back? Those are the two possibilities lingering in my mind, but I would need to source a torpedo, possibly from a Swordfish kit, which I don't have. Turret I can get from my old Airfix, or new Airfix, Defiants.

It was put forward by Vultee as a competitor to the Avenger.  I've got a book that shows it in a USN markings flying off a carrier deck.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: 63cpe on February 23, 2022, 11:01:23 AM
If power was the problem maybe put a R3350 (B-29 engine) in front or, just a little later, in real life, a R4360 ( B-50/C-97).. However this was done in real life as the XA-31B&C.

XA-31B, Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major

YA-31C, Wright R-3350 Duplex Cyclone
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

jcf

An R-2800 would probably solve the power problems.

Earlier Vultee V-11s were used as engine testbeds:

Number 29 NX14980 as V-11T for P&W R-2800 development.

Number 138 as XA/YA-19A with flat-12 Lycoming 0-1230-1.
https://oldmachinepress.com/2018/04/20/lycoming-o-1230-flat-12-aircraft-engine/

Number 133 as XA/YA-19B P&W R-2800-1

The V-11 and V-72/73/88 Vengeance were of very similar size.

Due to the circular cross-section of the fuselage matching up most inline engine cowlings
is going to be problematic. Maybe the Griffon "power egg" from a Shackleton?

Mossie

Did someone do a French Vengeance?  I'm guessing it'd be Narses. They were ordered but France fell before delivery and the RAF took a good chunk instead.

The Rat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 23, 2022, 01:34:44 PM
Due to the circular cross-section of the fuselage matching up most inline engine cowlings
is going to be problematic. Maybe the Griffon "power egg" from a Shackleton?

More of a rounded trapezoid than circular, although apparently the model's cross-section is a bit too square on the bottom section. I was also thinking of the Shackleton option, as I have one somewhere in the basement that I made about 50 years ago. But keeping it within the Vengeance service timeline would be problematic.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 23, 2022, 11:58:39 AM
Stick a Python on there, that'll solve the power problem.  ;D

Being a dive-bomber, the wings wouldn't be overly stressed!  ;D ;D

The Rat

Quote from: Mossie on February 23, 2022, 01:52:29 PM
Did someone do a French Vengeance?  I'm guessing it'd be Narses. They were ordered but France fell before delivery and the RAF took a good chunk instead.

Believe they had about 40 set aside for France, but events overtook things. I was toying with that, but I think the only French decals I have are post-war.

The Rat

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on February 23, 2022, 01:52:29 PM

I may have done but can't find the evidence at the moment.

Quote from: The Rat on February 23, 2022, 04:20:45 PM

Believe they had about 40 set aside for France, but events overtook things. I was toying with that, but I think the only French decals I have are post-war.

I  can help with the torpedo and French markings Ratty
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.