Beardmore Aviation Ship

Started by Caveman, March 04, 2022, 02:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

I can't see any now, & that's after I enlarge the image to full-screen! :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

frank2056

The 1/700 Avro 504 came out great! How did you support it?

Caveman

Quote from: frank2056 on May 12, 2022, 09:25:09 AM
The 1/700 Avro 504 came out great! How did you support it?

Nose up at 45 degrees. Supports along the trailing edges of the wings and around the tail and landing gear. I'm trying a second batch, nose down inverted. The first all had a bit of warping on the wings and they have a noticeable taper.
secretprojects forum migrant

NARSES2

I'm not only jealous of the build, but even more so of your eyesight  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Caveman

Short Folder 25mm wingspan...

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 14, 2022, 05:46:51 AM
I'm not only jealous of the build, but even more so of your eyesight  ;)

Love that statement and one I can generally agree with

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Caveman

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

What resin are you using? Clear resins can have a slight bleed-through exposure. That may account for some of the warping. Still, really impressive results for 1/700.

Caveman

Quote from: frank2056 on May 15, 2022, 10:15:34 AM
What resin are you using? Clear resins can have a slight bleed-through exposure. That may account for some of the warping. Still, really impressive results for 1/700.

I'm using a transparent resin. I had suspected that might well be the case. I had bought transparent resin so I could print canopies as well as the rest of the model. But I'm beginning to think that making vac form moulds would be a better bet for that feature. Once I'm out of transparent I'll move onto bog standard grey.

loupgarou

Quote from: Caveman on May 15, 2022, 12:27:47 PM

I'm using a transparent resin. I had suspected that might well be the case. I had bought transparent resin so I could print canopies as well as the rest of the model. But I'm beginning to think that making vac form moulds would be a better bet for that feature. Once I'm out of transparent I'll move onto bog standard grey.

Vac form canopies in 1/700 ??  :o :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Caveman

Quote from: loupgarou on May 15, 2022, 01:23:53 PM
Quote from: Caveman on May 15, 2022, 12:27:47 PM

No I meant in general. I've printed a few 1/72 aircraft on my FDM printer. I was hoping that with a clear resin I'd be able to get better quality prints and that would include canopies.

frank2056

I've tried printing transparencies with clear resin. The results were poor.

- The clear resin I was using (Anycubic clear) yellowed a bit after curing. There are other clear resins that yellow less, but...
- internal defects and even the occasional layer line will be visible, even after sanding and polishing.
- A canopy thin enough to minimize yellowing and internal artifacts may be too thin to survive the polishing/sanding required to make it transparent

Polymaker makes a clear filament that can be smoothed with alcohol. The main drawbacks are the cost and the surface durability.

I'm not saying that 3D printing a transparency with a resin printer is impossible - it's just that it would be far easier to print a master in an opaque resin, smooth it and vacuform the canopy from it.

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on May 15, 2022, 01:23:53 PM

That was my first thought until I read Caveman's reply  ;) ;D

Caveman

Actual ship progress in a ship topic...

Looking more like a ship! Got to work out what scheme I'm going to paint her in still. I think she's too late to be in the fetching white, yellow and black rig of the late 1800s. Ships boats and aircraft still to add.