Beardmore Aviation Ship

Started by Caveman, March 04, 2022, 02:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

If the ship is anything like Beardmore's aircraft, it will be excessively large, overweight and very slow, probably not very maneuverable either.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Caveman

Progress!

Im not going to try to print this all at once but thought I'd try to get as much modelled virtually as possible before hand and work out what I can and cant print together. At the moment I'm thinking:

- Hull
- Superstructure(s)
- Bridge, erm bridge
- Greebles (guns, searchlights, cranes, boats, planes etc)

Its easy to loose sight of scale in virtual environment - I have to keep catching myself from adding too much detail. That lattice supporting the bridge is 5mm square...
secretprojects forum migrant

Caveman

Pondering the air wing. The plan for this ship was drawn in 1912. So I'm looking at aircraft available around 1913 (predating Sopwith!).

At the moment I'm thinking provisionally about some Short Folders and some Avro 504s (to misquote Scotty: "Avro 504, no bloody A, B, C, D, ..." etc). I'm tempted by Astra Torres too. In a bit of a nod to Furious landing on an SSZ.

Anyone have some thoughts on sensible options for the timeframe?

Caveman

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 06, 2022, 06:34:53 PM
By predating Sopwith do you mean any of the Sopwith types flown in 1913?

Ah I meant predating Sopwith Aviation Company, which was founded at the end of 1913. I hadn't twigged Sopwith had built aircraft prior to the formation of the company. But I don't think any of the 1912/1913 aircraft are likely candidates.

Caveman

More deck furniture added as well as the masts. Some cranes still to do and then I think Ill get the ship printing whilst I work on the aircraft. I'm still thinking that will be some 504s, Short Folders and the RN's Astra Torres.

Caveman

After much procrastination, we have the beginnings of hardware :)

jcf

Something to consider in regards to aircraft is that even though it's a 1912 concept, by
the time the ship was actually approved, contracted, designed, constructed, launched,
fitted out and entered service it would no longer be 1912.
;)

Caveman

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 21, 2022, 11:09:34 AM
Something to consider in regards to aircraft is that even though it's a 1912 concept, by
the time the ship was actually approved, contracted, designed, constructed, launched,
fitted out and entered service it would no longer be 1912.
;)

Yeah, I'd considered that, which is why I'm looking at 1913 aircraft (It'd still be a quick turn-around from drawing to build but not impossible.) I want to see what could have been assembled pre-war if someone had the motivation and money.

Caveman

Im having some "interesting" results from my resin printer and I was wondering if I could borrow the mind of the masses to explore what Im doing wrong and what I can do to rectify. Basically the prints seem to be warping quite significantly during print (see below)

The sides of these prints should be parallel. The sides that are wonky are the ones closest to the build plate and which had the supports on (I tried 2 orientations for the print). Any thoughts on route course/corrective action?

frank2056

Post images of how you're supporting these.
Some questions, suggestions:

- Are the smokestacks hollow and all the way through? If not, they may be causing suction as they print.
- what angle did you print at? The best angle is between 30 and 45 degrees, depending on the printer.
- The surfaces facing the build plate will usually be of lower quality.
- The warping may be due to lack of enough supports, exposure too long or too short, or all three. Have you made a resin exposure finder print?
- try printing with the bottom surface flat against the build plate. Depending on your settings, you may get some elephant foot at the bottom, but that can be sanded off.

Run your file through UVTools to make sure there aren't any obvious issues.

Caveman

After a few false starts I've managed to get some decent output. All the details and grebles still to come - including the air wing.

Caveman

Bit of primer and some initial grebles

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Caveman

First of the air wing printed…