2022/2023 GB Season - Call for Ideas

Started by NARSES2, March 07, 2022, 05:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

- The re-engined GB: Anything with a (visibly) different engine than in real life.

- The anachronism GB: for instance WW2 aircraft in modern livery or vice versa

- The part swap GB: Take two kits and assemble two models using parts of each. For instance wings of one on the fuselage of the other.

- The "colour" GB: Choose a colour (red, black, blue.....only ONE colour) for the GB and everyone builds something with predominantly that colour)

- Lengthen it GB: Build something with longer wings, a longer car, etc

- Everyone the same kit GB. Pick a kit everyone can buy and afford (a 1/72 Spit?) and everyone builds a whif version of that kit.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

McColm

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 08, 2022, 05:43:00 AM
A couple of questions ?

Quote from: McColm on March 07, 2022, 11:26:53 AM

Alternatives to the Brabazon Committee.

I'm assuming you mean alternative design's/types rather than alternative members for the Committee ?
Yes that's correct.

Quote from: McColm on March 07, 2022, 11:36:49 PM

Mach2 kit whiffery

Again I assume you mean wifferey with Mach 2 kits rather than wifferey involving a type capable of Mach 2 and above ?
Mach2 model kits not aircraft that are capable of Mach2.

scooter

Quote from: TomZ on March 08, 2022, 09:33:24 AM
- The "colour" GB: Choose a colour (red, black, blue.....only ONE colour) for the GB and everyone builds something with predominantly that colour)

One for Eric
- Lengthen it GB: Build something with longer wings, a longer car, etc
One for Kit

:wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 08, 2022, 05:44:45 AM
The decade you were born in GB. Build a model representative of the decade in which you were born.

Of course!  I'm up for that.

Ditto scrapheap/sparesbox challenge and the engineswap GB proposals.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

sandiego89

Chris I know you tried, but as always we get a few nominations from a certain poster or two that are way too obscure/narrow and would never get any votes or actual entries (even from the person that suggested them).

You have my support to cull the list, or post a draft list as thing get closer to put it up for review and final alibies/objections (without allowing votes), or I offer my services to help cull if you want to have a committee concept.   No one wants to compile or vote on a list of 75 nominations or have to go through multiple votes to weed out those ones that never had a chance.

This is not in the interest of stifling creativity, if someone really wants to build "Ford Cortinas as Portuguese Taxis" or Muggles knock yourself out, but not as GB theme.         
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Sport21ing

My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

Cobra

Small Q:has Anyone Considered a Gerry Anderson GB? i Recall mentioning it once before.thanks for Looking. Dan

Dizzyfugu

I'd suggest...

• A very generic "Science Fiction" GB
  • I still cling to the "Africa" idea, well overlooked region and full of options

I also like TomZ's "Same kit" idea, or maybe a "Same base" thing (MiG-21?), for more freedom concerning the starting point?

McColm

Whilst I agree that some of my suggestions might be out of the GB comfort box, they can be combined with others such as the Gunship GB. That as you recall was three suggestions rolled into one and 'blues & twos' the same.
I'm still coming to terms with my condition and the side effects, if I have offended anyone I humbly apologise.
My brain gets bombarded with ideas when I can't sleep,  my handwriting is bad and I can't read what I have written down (another side effect). I know not all of my suggestions will be used but if they inspire another modeller to build then that's satisfaction for me.

TomZ

I would agree that a list of 75 is a bit too much but I wouldn't want to limit the creativity too much. Some of the suggestions below are in my category "That's nice, I would never thought of that". Even to a point where if they aren't selected for a GB, I might still do something with the idea in the future.

I think the group builds are partly there to broaden ones horizons and take people out of their comfort zones. Also, like McColm says, some ideas can be combined into one GB to make it more appealing to the members. So as far as I am concerned, let everyone bring their crazy ideas to the table!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Pellson

Quote from: TomZ on March 09, 2022, 03:09:56 AM
I would agree that a list of 75 is a bit too much but I wouldn't want to limit the creativity too much. Some of the suggestions below are in my category "That's nice, I would never thought of that". Even to a point where if they aren't selected for a GB, I might still do something with the idea in the future.

I think the group builds are partly there to broaden ones horizons and take people out of their comfort zones. Also, like McColm says, some ideas can be combined into one GB to make it more appealing to the members. So as far as I am concerned, let everyone bring their crazy ideas to the table!

TomZ

Well spoken Tom! My own suggestions are what I'd like to build, and if that doesn't appeal to anyone else, I'll be fine anyway.
Your suggestions, Stephen, aren't all for me, but they (as do many of the ideas you write about separately) do really inspire me even if I don't follow them to the point.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Thanks for the offer Sandie  :thumbsup:, but I think I'll stick to the same system I used last year and have a preliminary vote to get to  the final list. One or two very similar ideas may be combined, as they were last year, and the odd one or two may be broadened to enhance their appeal, but on the whole it'll be the same as last year. I'm comfortable with that
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Hmmm, after some consideration I also like the idea of a "2-kits-crossbashing" GB.
That's quite challenging, and requires two builds as an eligible submission. Maybe double extensions, too?

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 14, 2022, 02:41:15 AM
Hmmm, after some consideration I also like the idea of a "2-kits-crossbashing" GB.
That's quite challenging, and requires two builds as an eligible submission. Maybe double extensions, too?

Meaning that if you put Spitfire wings on a Triumph Herald you also have to put Triumph Herald wings on a Spitfire?  I like it.  It'll lead to some very ugly builds.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..