Mitsubishi Amatsubame.

Started by zenrat, March 12, 2022, 03:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Mitsubishi Amatsubame.

Supermarine Swift - 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Built under license by Mitsubishi the Amatsubame (Fork Tailed Swift) served with the JASDF as an interceptor.

Supermarine Swift - 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

At first glance identical to Supermarine's original design the Japanese Swift featured a subtle airframe modification which Mitsubishi test pilots claimed improved manoeuvrability in combat.

Supermarine Swift - 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Supermarine Swift - 13 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model

Supermarine Swift - 14 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Airfix Supermarine Swift built almost OOB.
Painted with Alclad Polished Aluminium over Alclad Gloss Black.  The gloss black was fine - nice and shiny - but I painted the Aluminium on a humid day and it clouded the finish in places.  Some polished off but them so did some of the Aluminium.  It has Alclad Aqua Gloss over the top.
One day i'll get a decent alclad finish on an airframe...
Transfers from the folder.  I was inspired by Hasegawa's Sabre Dog box art.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

perttime

Quote from: zenrat on March 12, 2022, 03:41:37 AM
Mitsubishi Amatsubame.
At first glance identical to Supermarine's original design the Japanese Swift featured a subtle airframe modification which Mitsubishi test pilots claimed improved manoeuvrability in combat.
Not knowing the Swift that well, it took me a while to find an airframe modification  :mellow:

McColm

The Rat

Excellent bit of sawing and moving!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

buzzbomb

Old Wombat

Quote from: perttime on March 12, 2022, 11:35:16 AM
Mitsubishi Amatsubame.
Not knowing the Swift that well, it took me a while to find an airframe modification  :mellow:

I've still got no idea. :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

congratulations for this good model in unusual colours :thumbsup:

Built under license by Mitsubishi the Amatsubame (Fork Tailed Swift)
Reading this, I thought the layout would be like a P-38 (twin-boom?), but no, OK.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

Looks to me like the vertical stabilizer was moved aft almost to the jet pipe. I was checking pics and I saw wings with fences, a dogtooth and plain so that wasn't it. Nice job either way.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Ummmn im with Wombat here..great build but cant see a damn thing Fred  :lol:
Subtle is a bloody understatement matey  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

Looks very good, Fred. It also took me a while to spot the change till i got to the side view. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Kerick picked it.
I've never liked the look of the Swift.  Something bugs me about it.  Part of the problem was the gap between the trailing edge of the rudder and the end of the jet pipe.  Moving the vertical tail approx 10mm backwards was easy and made a big (IMO) improvement.
I also don't like the nose.  This is harder to fix as it comtains the UC bay.  I may have to get another kit and tackle this.  It needs to be more downward pointing and possibly longer.  The camera nose from the Airfix Banshee   might do the trick.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Nice finish there Fred, despite the problems.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on March 13, 2022, 04:36:26 AM
I also don't like the nose.  This is harder to fix as it comtains the UC bay.  I may have to get another kit and tackle this.  It needs to be more downward pointing and possibly longer.  The camera nose from the Airfix Banshee   might do the trick.

I've had that thought too.

Another possibility is to replace the entire front end with one from a tandem two-seat trainer of some kind, preferably an older one with non-staggered seats, like a Delfin or MB.326.

If you wanted to make fixing the original nose easier, you could always go back to a tailwheel layout, as per the Attacker that the Swift is non-too-distantly derived from.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones