Airfix Biggin Hill locomotive with photos

Started by McColm, March 14, 2022, 04:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I appear to have found a Airfix Biggin Hill locomotive kit without any instructions or decals.  Vintage Airfix has a list of instructions which I have downloaded and I know Fox Models do the name plates and decals for all of the major railway companies in the UK.
The build may not be an accurate rendition but very useful for my 00 gauge layout, as I will know how long the platforms need to be.

PR19_Kit

The BoB kit had very few decals included originally anyway, so you've not lost much. IIRC it was just a pair of nameplates, a few numbers and the BR 'Lion on a Wheel' decal for the tender.

Fox's stuff will be a lot better quality, no doubt about it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 14, 2022, 04:47:43 AM
The BoB kit had very few decals included originally anyway, so you've not lost much. IIRC it was just a pair of nameplates, a few numbers and the BR 'Lion on a Wheel' decal for the tender.

Fox's stuff will be a lot better quality, no doubt about it.

Absolutely right there. Dapol did decals for nearly all the Battle class locomotives. I have 'Fighter Pilot' in my stash.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dapol-c48-battle-britain-class-biggin-hill--264895

McColm

McColm

McColm

And the other page

McColm

This could be the start of the alternative liveries.

Gondor

Interesting. I used to have a train set when I was younger and have never built a model of anything railway related. this could be the start of a very slippery slope.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

My Dad's got one of them built up on the shelf in his study.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I've been turning one of those BoB kits into a model of the unbuilt air smoothed Baltic tank engine (4-6-4) that Bullied proposed.

It got as far as this, but that was four years ago. :(

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2022, 03:57:59 AM
I've been turning one of those BoB kits into a model of the unbuilt air smoothed Baltic tank engine (4-6-4) that Bullied proposed.

It got as far as this, but that was four years ago. :(

I would have thought that you would have stretched it somehow  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

It's actually the opposite, being a tank engine.  ;D

I ought to get on and finish it, as well as the ZILLIONS of other stalled projects I have. :(

Regards
Kit

McColm

So the next item to get is some 00gauge straight track plus a few coaches/carriages. I'll have to check if these locomotives pulled freight.

Rheged

Quote from: McColm on March 15, 2022, 06:54:43 AM
So the next item to get is some 00gauge straight track plus a few coaches/carriages. I'll have to check if these locomotives pulled freight.

I was told that Oliver Bullied got away with building new express passenger locos during the Second World War by justifying them as "mixed traffic"  even though he intended to use them purely for passenger services.   If this is the case, freight hauling is a reasonable idea.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

Quote from: Rheged on March 15, 2022, 08:40:36 AM
Quote from: McColm on March 15, 2022, 06:54:43 AM

I was told that Oliver Bullied got away with building new express passenger locos during the Second World War by justifying them as "mixed traffic"  even though he intended to use them purely for passenger services.   If this is the case, freight hauling is a reasonable idea.
Thanks for the information  :thumbsup: