1/350 scale NUMA oceanographic research/exploration ship "Neptune's Trident"

Started by seadude, March 15, 2022, 03:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

So here's my (Hopefully) next what if project for 2022. Converting a 1/350 scale LPD-17 San Antonio class amphibious ship
into a what if large scale NUMA (National Underwater and Marine Agency) oceanographic research and exploration ship.
And for those who are unaware, from what I've heard or read, most vehicles and ships in NUMA service in Clive Cussler's books
are painted a turquoise color. The ship will not be all turquoise color. Only the lower hull. The majority of superstructure will
be white as seen on most real world oceanographic ships.
I am also hoping to put this ship in some sort of underwater diorama display.
Not sure if it will be salvage, underwater construction, or some
other type of display. So eventually, I'll need to get some sort of acrylic case for diorama purposes.
I also bought some DSRV submersibles to repurpose as exploration subs as well as some Seaview Flying subs.
Also bought two other ship kits to use for spare parts such as cranes, radars, etc.
I don't expect completion of this model to be until maybe early next year. But, who knows?

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

Having read the Dirk Pitt adventures, I always interpreted the NUMA vessels to be turquoise hull with white superstructure, and could swear it was mentioned in a book or two.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

seadude

Quote from: nighthunter on March 15, 2022, 10:11:08 PM
Having read the Dirk Pitt adventures, I always interpreted the NUMA vessels to be turquoise hull with white superstructure, and could swear it was mentioned in a book or two.

I used to think the ships were completely turquoise color above the waterline, upper hull AND superstructure. Sometimes, the books aren't very descriptive about the ships NUMA has/uses. But I did find this.
http://www.cnn.com/books/beginnings/9906/serpent/
QuoteNina shielded her eyes from the sun and stared over the water at a ship anchored offshore. The vessel's hull was painted from waterline to superstructure in turquoise green. She squinted, just making out the letters NUMA, the acronym for the National Underwater and Marine Agency, emblazoned on the hull amidships.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

sandiego89

Maybe they will find the hidden treasure and the secret documents that could totally change world politics with a document so damaging to the corrupt leaders that they will stop ant nothing to interrupt the mission....but Dirk with the help of the brilliant, but beautiful, marine geologist will foil their plans....

yes I have read a few.....

nice project! 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

seadude

Quote from: Rheged on March 16, 2022, 03:03:44 PM
"Neptune's Trident"  A great many possibilities here!

Did you consider the possibilities of a trimaran similar to  the former Quinetiq research vessel R V Triton?      Details here:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_Triton?msclkid=68f86ac4a57411ec915f2e072a3bf96a  and pictures here:-https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rv+triton&qpvt=rv+triton&tsc=ImageHoverTitle&form=IGRE&msclkid=68f46dcaa57411ecaec831540cf127bb&first=1

Nice, but never really crossed my mind. After looking at all the models in my model stash at home, I wondered what I could possibly make out of the San Antonio LPD ship. After reading a few Clive Cussler novels, I thought maybe a new......and larger.......oceanographic research/exploration ship might fit the bill. Something newer for future 21st century underwater research, exploration, salvage, rescue, and undersea construction. Why should NUMA have all these small to medium sized ships for it's oceanographic purposes? Why not have something bigger for really large/heavy missions?

scooter

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 16, 2022, 03:29:48 PM
Maybe they will find the hidden treasure and the secret documents that could totally change world politics with a document so damaging to the corrupt leaders that they will stop ant nothing to interrupt the mission....but Dirk with the help of the brilliant, but beautiful, marine geologist will foil their plans....

yes I have read a few.....

nice project!

And solve a few mysteries that were taken to the deep or the grave.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

"Neptune's Trident" is much better than that whole "Boaty McBoatface" thing a few years ago!
This looks like fun and I'll be watching this one. A little scale o rama going on too . Cool!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude

I've been contemplating the following:
What types of radar masts should I have on my ship model?
Since this is a civilian ship, there wouldn't need to be stealthy enclosed radar masts as shown on the model kit box art. I could instead just use a spare Arleigh Burke destroyer mast as shown in one of the earlier colored pics.
But then I began to think, why not have the radar masts enclosed if the ship was out in the ocean during bad weather? Wouldn't want all those sensors and stuff to get damaged, right?
Decisions, decisions.  :banghead:

Madhatter

Way cool!! I love the Cussler books and have for a longtime wanted to find a kit of a C5-S-75A MURAD cargo ship to make into the Oregon  from the aptly named Oregon Files series, but alas, there is no such kit available. 3D printing maybe the way to go.
I'll be tuning into this thread often.

seadude

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude