F-17A Cobra

Started by Firefox, March 21, 2022, 10:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefox

I always wonder what if YF-17 went into production and always wanted to do an F-17. I'd imagine if YF-17 had gone into production, it would share some commonality with the F/A-18 counterpart and maintain some key differences. Since it's a land base aircraft, it would have simpler landing gears and have no need of wings folding mechanism. I also read from somewhere that the F-17 (or F-18L as more commonly and officially known) has an additional pylon on each wing. 

For this project, I used an Academy 1/72 F/A-18 as a base and sanded away the wings folding details. For the landing gears, I used the F-15 landing gears and modified it slightly to fit in the wheel wells. As for the paint scheme, I decided to use F-16 paint scheme. If YF-17 got the production green light, F-16 would probably not exist.

Spots the differences, one is an F/A-18A.

Wardukw

Very nice Fire dude.. :thumbsup: the F18 is the plane on the left in the pics  ;D
Ive got 48th F/A 18 super hornet which im going to update to a super duper Hornet .
Hopefully mine will turn out as good as yours matey   <_<
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

This is great whiffery! Subtle, yet effective.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Tophe

Nice idea, and great making it! :thumbsup:
And thanks for the visual comparison F-17/F-18, very useful to appreciate the difference. :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on March 22, 2022, 03:17:53 AM
This is great whiffery! Subtle, yet effective.  :thumbsup:

Very much so  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

PR19_Kit

I can't tell them together, let alone apart.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Kit look at the one on the left..you can see the wing folding points on the wings  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Oh right, so the F-17 didn't have folding wings at all?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Nope..the F17 is ground based only..no heavy duty landing gear..no arresting hook and of course.no folding wings...other than that its exactly the same..ish  ;D

perttime

The RW YF-17 was a little smaller than F/A-18. I'm sure they could have decided to make the production version a little bigger, like the proposed F-18L.

Wardukw

I think it would make sense for them to be the same size..would cut production costs a fare bit id imagine.