Forum Software Upgrade completed - 20th August

Started by overscan, March 28, 2022, 01:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I don't care what an upgrade looks like as long as I can still do everything I can do now.  Being able to do extra things and do things faster would be a bonus.

As for paying for the forum, being labelled a donor could prevent me from doing it.  I don't like badges and awards and medals and ranks and post counts and all that crap some forums clutter their layouts with.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

I've been futzing with the new version on my iPad Pro and 2.1 looks and works much better than the current 2.0.18.
I'll do more detailed feedback to Paul later, with screenshots, and I'll do the same with my phone.

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on April 08, 2022, 04:23:30 AM...being labelled a donor could prevent me from doing it.  I don't like badges and awards and medals and ranks and post counts and all that crap some forums clutter their layouts with.

I fully second that!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

crudebuteffective

Quote from: Pellson on April 08, 2022, 02:58:35 PM
Quote from: zenrat on April 08, 2022, 04:23:30 AM...being labelled a donor could prevent me from doing it.  I don't like badges and awards and medals and ranks and post counts and all that crap some forums clutter their layouts with.

I fully second that!

for what my thoughts are worth
i enjoy this site full stop and would contribute financially if it comes to it
but i am aware that not all of the people on this site could and that doesnt bother me
if i am in the pub with mates i buy a round of drinks regardless of if others are gonna buy me one back

basically those that can contribute do....those that cant dont .... no badges no highlighting them
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

zenrat

Quote from: crudebuteffective on April 09, 2022, 03:38:39 AM

I fully second that!

but i am aware that not all of the people on this site could and that doesnt bother me
if i am in the pub with mates i buy a round of drinks regardless of if others are gonna buy me one back

basically those that can contribute do....those that cant dont .... no badges no highlighting them

Exactly. 
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 09, 2022, 04:23:17 AM

I fully second that!

Exactly. 

That's the way I feel as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

overscan

It is possible to have paid upgrades, badges or titles for donators, etc, but I personally don't think its a good idea, and many people actively dislike being publicly "outed" as donators.

Its quite different to the Patreon type model of Youtube creators where donors are usually named in the videos as one of their "perks".
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Nick

Quote from: overscan on March 28, 2022, 01:04:04 AM
SimpleMachines has finally released version 2.1, after an extended development period of 11 years. It isn't a massive upgrade for users, so not too much should change.

New features for users
A new WYSIWYG editor, SCEditor
Real-time alerts in addition to email notifications
A new default theme with full support for mobile devices
Draft messages (you can save & resume later)
Mentions using @name syntax
Drag & drop attachments
Attachments can be embedded directly into post text

New features for moderators and administrators
An improved Administrator Control Panel
Support for moderator groups, not just individuals
Many security enhancements, including support for optional Two Factor Authentication
IPv6 support
Designed with GDPR support

I will be upgrading the forum to this latest version and at the same time upgrading the host server to the latest operating system. Admins will get access to the new site for testing shortly.

Does the upgrade include a Spoiler option so we can hide images or text from immediate view?
Might be useful when posting pics of spiders etc  ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on April 09, 2022, 08:08:51 AM

Does the upgrade include a Spoiler option so we can hide images or text from immediate view?
Might be useful when posting pics of spiders etc  ;)

Oh yes,  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 09, 2022, 05:45:00 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 09, 2022, 04:23:17 AM

I fully second that!

Exactly. 

That's the way I feel as well

Me too!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

overscan

Spoiler tag isn't a core feature but can be added if demand is there. The rule is to minimise additional code to add, as it increases the possibility of being hacked.

"What if?" addict

TomZ

Quote from: overscan on April 09, 2022, 02:08:28 PM
Spoiler tag isn't a core feature but can be added if demand is there. The rule is to minimise additional code to add, as it increases the possibility of being hacked.

Hmmmm, I don't quite see the point of this. Just extra clicks for the user.
And if it is a safety risk, I would vote to leave it out.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

NARSES2

Quote from: TomZ on April 10, 2022, 12:11:59 AM

TomZ

I can't see the point of it personally
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

steelpillow

I think it'd be more use to limit the size of displayed images (unless clicked on), so that the full 100MB hi-res beast doesn't require endless scrolling to see/get past. Or is that in there anyway?
Cheers.

overscan

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 10, 2022, 01:08:26 AM
Quote from: TomZ on April 10, 2022, 12:11:59 AM

TomZ

I can't see the point of it personally
Well, lets not install it then. Its more relevant for forums discussing movies, TV shows and books.
"What if?" addict