Forum Software Upgrade completed - 20th August

Started by overscan, March 28, 2022, 01:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

overscan

Quote from: steelpillow on April 10, 2022, 01:58:00 AM
I think it'd be more use to limit the size of displayed images (unless clicked on), so that the full 100MB hi-res beast doesn't require endless scrolling to see/get past. Or is that in there anyway?

There are size limit controls on displayed pics, yes. The full picture will still load, but at least it won't occupy the whole screen.

Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

overscan

Quote from: steelpillow on April 10, 2022, 01:58:00 AM
I think it'd be more use to limit the size of displayed images (unless clicked on), so that the full 100MB hi-res beast doesn't require endless scrolling to see/get past. Or is that in there anyway?

New version has this:

"What if?" addict

overscan

Note however that users can control the maximum size of the picture already in the existing forum.

When you post an image it puts in code like this:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/OkPK3Hp.png[img]

You can amend it like this to limit the size - here I'm setting the width to 1200 pixels.

[img width=1200]https://i.imgur.com/OkPK3Hp.png[img]
"What if?" addict

steelpillow

Quote from: overscan on April 10, 2022, 02:28:25 AM
Note however that users can control the maximum size of the picture already in the existing forum.

Yes, however not all members with access to the Hubble telescope are aware of the option. :(

Glad to see an admin limit in there.
Personally I find about 800 x 600 to be a comfortable max, but I am sure many others want the default to accommodate a Hubble telescope image. (Worth noting that web pixel values are no longer the same as the actual pixels on your display, they are sized at 96 pixels per inch, so 800 px wide corresponds to 8.3 ins. However mobile browsers are apt to override the inch scaling anyway and instead guess wildly at the scale you really mean.)
Cheers.

perttime

Many forums limit the size of attachments. In pixels and/or used memory per file and/or per post.

On my current laptop, image widths of around 1000 pixels still display comfortably, without any clicking to view them in different ways. Some models seem to require pretty big images to see the details AND a bit of the whole.

NARSES2

Quote from: steelpillow on April 10, 2022, 02:54:49 AM

Personally I find about 800 x 600 to be a comfortable max,

I tend to set a width of 900/950 as that fits the screen
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 11, 2022, 06:21:52 AM
Quote from: steelpillow on April 10, 2022, 02:54:49 AM

Personally I find about 800 x 600 to be a comfortable max,

I tend to set a width of 900/950 as that fits the screen

How big a screen   ;)  I use a smart TV as a monitor, it's a 32"
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

I resize my images before uploading them to Flickr and then posting them on the forum.  I can select Mb, cms or inches values (I prefer to apply inches values, either 3" or 3.5" width with a fixed ratio, so the robots calculate the image height).

Anyway, uploading directly to the forum is a brilliant development.  Others may not agree, but setting a default value as indicated would be a very welcome addition.  I assume there will be upload instructions?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kitbasher on April 11, 2022, 08:39:43 AM
Anyway, uploading directly to the forum is a brilliant development.  Others may not agree, but setting a default value as indicated would be a very welcome addition.  I assume there will be upload instructions?

Agree!  Looking forward to the option.  :thumbsup:

overscan

This weekend is busy with Easter stuff, so I'm probably looking at Saturday 23 April for upgrade.
"What if?" addict

NARSES2

Quote from: overscan on April 13, 2022, 03:05:49 AM
This weekend is busy with Easter stuff, so I'm probably looking at Saturday 23 April for upgrade.

St George's Day and I've got a hot lunch date  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

Quote from: kitbasher on April 11, 2022, 08:39:43 AM
I resize my images before uploading them to Flickr and then posting them on the forum.  I can select Mb, cms or inches values (I prefer to apply inches values, either 3" or 3.5" width with a fixed ratio, so the robots calculate the image height)....
Flickr offers several different sizes that you can use for posting. I'm sure I have used at least 600, 800 and 1024 px versions here.

zenrat

I resize all my pics to 960 pixels wide for reasons I can'r remember.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TomZ

Any updates on this?
And on the picture posting stuff?

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

overscan

The much delayed forum upgrade will be done this weekend, Saturday 20th August. It is likely to take a couple of hours - a good time to dust off the tools and build a model.
"What if?" addict