Forum Software Upgrade completed - 20th August

Started by overscan, March 28, 2022, 01:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Note from Overscan - see here https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=50388.60

The much delayed forum upgrade will be done this weekend, Saturday 20th August. It is likely to take a couple of hours - a good time to dust off the tools and build a model.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

overscan

Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

overscan

And done! Welcome back.

This is very much a standard installation of SMF 2.1 so expect some tweaking of settings and the interface over the next few days.
"What if?" addict

overscan

So, mail notifications aren't working yet. Other than that, I don't know of any major issues. Well, obviously there are a number of changes to the forum. It should work better on mobile devices too.

Let me know!

"What if?" addict

PR19_Kit

Looks pretty darn sharp, and much 'cleaner' than the old version.

One thing I've noticed is that there isn't a thread title at the top of every post as there was originally. That was very handy to monitor the dreaded 'Thread Drift'.

And there's no 'Spell Check' button any more, or I can't find it if there is one.

I'm using a normal Win10 laptop BTW.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

overscan

Kit, if you do reply instead of a quick reply you can edit the subject still. Its just hiding it if you didn't choose a new topic title.
"What if?" addict

steelpillow

Nice and clean. Looking forward to the frills like smileys and stuff.

One thing, can the default text size be increased a touch? It seem a bit small compared to most web sites. I am finding a zoom of 110% or 120% more comfortable to read.

Also a bit disappointed that a Google service has to be active to work even for such basics as editing a post and logging out. Means they can always know about each visit by any member, and that compromises our privacy. The offending XSS site is ajax.googleapis.com, there is also the third-party hosting jsdelivr.com, with both needing to be allowed before say the user's Account menu will open. Still, that's the Internet for you these days - if you are not paying for the product, you are the product.
Cheers.

NARSES2

overscan

Yep seems to have gone pretty well. I am sure there are some tweaks to do.
"What if?" addict

NARSES2

I need to get used to the different type face, when I type a reply etc. Sounds trivial, but it throws me for a while and if that's all I have to worry about  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

overscan

@steelpillow I agree on the default text size, I'll look into that. I think I altered the size previously on the old site.

@PR19_Kit I agree the spellcheck appears to be missing, the tickbox for it isn't where it used to be. I have installed the relevant supporting software, so might need to ask on the support forums.
"What if?" addict

zenrat

Looks like it's working OK.
Message font looks a bit small for my old eyes but i'm sure I can adjust that.

Good job.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 20, 2022, 05:41:07 AMMessage font looks a bit small for my old eyes but i'm sure I can adjust that.

Good job.

If you do, let me know please

zenrat

Quote from: steelpillow on August 20, 2022, 05:20:57 AM...One thing, can the default text size be increased a touch?...

Second that.

Otherwise looks OK.

Thanks.

<Edit.  I like this quick edit feature>
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..