Vickers Swallow

Started by PR19_Kit, March 31, 2022, 02:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

Your Swallow was more impressive without engines. It looked as something the Klingon could have used in close fighting.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Also available in PRU Blue on the underside, as many good aeroplanes are.....

and in Sea Grey Medium on top.  ;D

Decals next and then it's the landing gear and she'll be done!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Knowing not much this aircraft I have gone and read its Wikipedia page :unsure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Swallow
and it is incredible that a so modern (or futuristic) aircraft was cancelled in 1957, 65 years ago! (my hypothesis would have been: designed in 2030, cancelled in 2050 as too much futuristic)...
But I am satisfied that its completion (here) is scheduled for some future not so long ago in the past... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Wardukw

There was plenty of nut ball ideas in thr 50 s and 60s Tophe mate even a bomber a B36 i believe to be powered but a nuclear reactor ..a brilliant idea if i ever heard one  :banghead:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

It's got decals on now, but needs some better ones, and they're drying after the varnish stage as I write.

I'm dreading installing the landing gear, they're TINY, and fragile too, and I'm sure I'll break one of them at least. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 20, 2022, 02:05:51 PM
It's got decals on now, but needs some better ones, and they're drying after the varnish stage as I write.

I'm dreading installing the landing gear, they're TINY, and fragile too, and I'm sure I'll break one of them at least. :(

*drum roll*

If you do break one then the good thing about printing is that spares are are always available

Is the cockpit section masked or are you painting windows on over the grey?
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

PR19_Kit

I did TRY and mask the cockpit, I really did, but with the amount of PSR I had to do (mainly the S bit...) the masking became sorely worn so I reluctantly stripped it off and primed over the top.

I'll do the age old airliner modelling bit and use decal windows there. I've already applied the camera pay windows in the same fashion.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on July 20, 2022, 01:19:07 PM
There was plenty of nut ball ideas in thr 50 s and 60s Tophe mate even a bomber a B36 i believe to be powered but a nuclear reactor ..a brilliant idea if i ever heard one  :banghead:

It was an interesting, if totally impractical, concept and not just restricted to  the B-36.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft

Mind you in the 50's there were plans for everything to be nuclear powered and boy's comics like the Eagle in the UK would be full of cutaway illustrations. Marks and Sparks probably had plans for a nuclear powered kettle  :angel: ;D

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Got most of the decals on the Swallow now and it's starting to look as it should.

The retractable cockpit can be seen almost right in the centre of the fuselage. I can't help thinking landing would have been a bit difficult with that HUGE nose stuck out in front.

Underside view showing the two camera bays, one forward and one aft.

The MoD, or maybe MoS in those days, actually issued serial nos. for 10 Swallows! And XK850 was one of them, so I used it.

Just the landing gear  to go now.

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Old Wombat

Strange looking thing. Very sci-fi. :unsure: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 21, 2022, 06:13:09 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on July 20, 2022, 01:19:07 PM

It was an interesting, if totally impractical, concept and not just restricted to  the B-36.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft

Mind you in the 50's there were plans for everything to be nuclear powered and boy's comics like the Eagle in the UK would be full of cutaway illustrations. Marks and Sparks probably had plans for a nuclear powered kettle  :angel: ;D
Oh hell Chris they went nuts in the 50s over ..atomic power !!!..atomic this and atomic that ..cars! ..cars powered by a mini reactor and tanks to and the Davy Crockett mini nuke..mental they were for this stuff ..bloody glad common sense finally took hold .
Kit thats is looking so good now and id screw the landing gear and mount it on a stand so you can really enjoy its shape  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Lost Cosmonauts

It does look good & has a different character to it than the original Wallis models in all white

I'm thinking I'll have to do either metallic or a grey/green over white for mine
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

The Wooksta!

I'm naming mine the Broadsword anyway.

Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green over white with Type Ds, with markings from one of the V bomber SR squadrons. That's the plan.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Steel Penguin

sweet !  :thumbsup:

and it looks very futuristic still
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!