Vickers Swallow

Started by PR19_Kit, March 31, 2022, 02:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Cosmonauts

Nicely fettled, just to note that all the wheels retract by folding forward so they sit at the rear of the bays (& it'll be a guaranteed tailsitter even then)
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

PR19_Kit

Thanks for that Alistair, I was wondering which way they sat.

I was also wondering about drilling up into the underside of the nose and pouring some 'Liquid Gravity' in there. It'd be totally invisible with a bit of PSR and some paint.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

As filler, I highly recommend that stuff that goes off with a UV light pen.  Doesn't shrink, cures in seconds and will polish to a glass like finish.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Ah, I haven't got any of that, but I'll look out for some. Thanks Lee.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Try ebay.  There's loads on there, but all bar one come from China, so I boycotted them straight away.  I just use me Dad's.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

Oh 1/144 scale ..that would make things rather tight ..yup go with just leaving em set at one position .
Like ya said Kit..1/72nd tho  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

I've often wondered if the asymmetric thrust would necessitate an almost immediate power-down on one engine on the opposite side. Would probably need to be automated.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

What do they do on a B-52? The #1 and #8 engines are MILES apart on one of them.

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 03, 2022, 01:19:02 PM
What do they do on a B-52? The #1 and #8 engines are MILES apart on one of them.

True, but there are 6 more in between, and none near the wingtips.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

The B52 in flight flys just like any other multi engined plane..all 8 burning at the same speed..its massive flaps do all the turning and going up and down stuff ..have a wee look at the mesurements of this things tail ..its huge and with that pushes a heap of air when it moves.
Your Swallow will use whats called flaparons..does both jobs of the ailerons and flaps.
I had a RC flying wing which uses the same systems.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Flyer

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 03, 2022, 05:06:07 PM
The B52 in flight flys just like any other multi engined plane..all 8 burning at the same speed..its massive flaps do all the turning

That would be it's rudder not flaps.

Your Swallow will use whats called flaparons..does both jobs of the ailerons and flaps.

Elevons, elevator and ailerons, not flaperons.

Flaperons are used on a conventional aircraft layout where both ailerons droop to act as flaps for landing and/or takeoff but still move independently for roll control. I have R/C model's that use both set ups.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Wardukw

Yup rudder but i know for a fact B52 pilots will use their flaps to bank this thing like a figther and not the rudder..buggered if i know why..read it in a book about B52 crews during the Vietnam war.
Ya would think the rubber would help a heap ..but ive never flown a B52..just stood beside one .
Yeah ive still got a few RC birds myself and my go 2 transmitters both have a flaparon setting and now ive only got one plane which use it and its only a 6 channel.
Some days i seriously think of building another flying wing..it was 4.2 mtrs span and powered by 2 OS .80s..id look at electric today tho.

Lost Cosmonauts

The B52 in flight flys just like any other multi engined plane..all 8 burning at the same speed..its massive flaps do all the turning and going up and down stuff ..have a wee look at the mesurements of this things tail ..its huge and with that pushes a heap of air when it moves.

Barnes Wallis ,as far as I know which is never very far, didn't intend to have flaperons or other conventional flying surfaces. Everything handled through tipping and turning of the engine mounts
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Flyer

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on April 04, 2022, 12:17:38 AM

Barnes Wallis ,as far as I know which is never very far, didn't intend to have flaperons or other conventional flying surfaces. Everything handled through tipping and turning of the engine mounts

Sounds dodgy and dangerous. Forget about flying it HOTAS then I'd be flying it HOTAB, Hands On Throttle And Bangseat!

Flyer

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 03, 2022, 11:36:51 PM
Yeah ive still got a few RC birds myself and my go 2 transmitters both have a flaparon setting and now ive only got one plane which use it and its only a 6 channel.
Some days i seriously think of building another flying wing..it was 4.2 mtrs span and powered by 2 OS .80s..id look at electric today tho.

I have a several 2 strokes ranging from a Cox .049 up to a .91 boxed away that will probably never get used again, been all electric for at least the last 10 or so years myself.  :thumbsup: