Vickers Swallow

Started by PR19_Kit, March 31, 2022, 02:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

As I said in the OP, the Swallow had NO control surfaces at all, no elevators, rudder, aileron or even a fin of any kind. All the control forces were generated by moving the wing/engine combination relative to the fuselage in all three planes.

Even though the Swallow was never built, the system worked and was demonstrated with the smaller Wild Goose RC controlled aircraft test flown by Vickers in 1952.

Viz the B-52 being controlled by its flaps, I can't believe that's right. That would indicate that the flaps operated individually rather than as a matched set, and I've never heard of an aeroplane that did that, and I've read a lot about B-52s etc. There is a tendancy among some 'aviation people' to refer to ailerons and elevators, and even the rudder, as 'flaps', and some even call the tailplane the 'tail wing', but they have that all wrong.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 04, 2022, 04:27:11 AMThere is a tendancy among some 'aviation people' to refer to ailerons and elevators, and even the rudder, as 'flaps'

Only ornithopters have flaps.  ;D ;D ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

Well now ive reread that Kit thr word damn comes to mind.
We all know what Barnes Wallis did with his monster bombs and with his swing wing ideas but this thing has me wondering.
Having something work as a RC plane dont mean it would work as a real one..as i bet Flyer has done like myself weve done things with our RC birds you couldnt do with a real plane ..its a damn cool idea but ...
Take a RC car which will do 200mph and yep the nutters who build them have gone even faster but when you do the math if that car was 1.1 scale it would do closer to 800mph .
Would loved to see thr Swallow fly for damn sure and the fact it looks amazing ..that wouldve been so cool  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Flyer mate thats cool..ive been playing with electrics for only a couple of yrs now and thanks to a good mate i scored a heap of motors..ESCs and servos when he got to old to fly..his eye site is really bad now .
Ive got like 17 planes in different states of flying  :lol:
I was thinking of going 4 stroke but holy crap dude..thr prices here now are stupid as in a new OS .80 is over $500nz so nope  :lol:
One day ill build this 1/4 scale Cub ive got the plans for but ill need a much bigger place first..the sheets are huge   :o
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

sandiego89

Wow, so wings sweeping AND changing incidence angle, AND pivoting engines! what could possibly go wrong!!  :o
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 04, 2022, 02:06:15 PM

Wow, so wings sweeping AND changing incidence angle, AND pivoting engines! what could possibly go wrong!!  :o

Luckily, here in WhiffWorld everything works perfectly first time.  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Flyer

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 04, 2022, 12:31:24 PM
Flyer mate thats cool..ive been playing with electrics for only a couple of yrs now and thanks to a good mate i scored a heap of motors..ESCs and servos when he got to old to fly..his eye site is really bad now .
Ive got like 17 planes in different states of flying  :lol:
I was thinking of going 4 stroke but holy crap dude..thr prices here now are stupid as in a new OS .80 is over $500nz so nope  :lol:
One day ill build this 1/4 scale Cub ive got the plans for but ill need a much bigger place first..the sheets are huge   :o

Cool. :thumbsup:

To avoid too much thread drift I've sent you a PM. :mellow:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Wardukw

Oh my thoughts exactly  :lol:...there is a reason why pretty much all planes use flaps and rudders and other moving bits  ;D

Wardukw

All good Flyer mate..pm received and returned  :thumbsup:

zenrat

And all without computers and fly by wire...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 05, 2022, 04:34:40 AM

Yup but he did have a slide rule  ;) and the kids actually did maths at school back then  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on April 05, 2022, 04:34:40 AM

There were wires, though they might call them cables from time to time, along with lots of other things like Bell Cranks, gears and pulleys and springs. The old fashioned Fly By Wire before they sent electricity down them.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

Guys ya know they did have hydraulics back then  :lol:
Barnes Wallis was a pretty smart cookie so i reckon he might have used hydraulics instead of cables or both  oh and a slide rule  ;D

PR19_Kit

The model won't have hydraulics, even though I'm an accredited hydraulics engineer.

NO way could I make some actuators and pumps in that scale, let alone servo-valves!  :o

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Hahaha yeah Kit ..wouls be a tad small wouldnt they ?
Admittedly it is easy to make rams in 35th scale..i could probably do it in 48th too but 72nd might be a challenge  :lol:
In 1/144..forget it  :o