Vickers Swallow

Started by PR19_Kit, March 31, 2022, 02:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Cosmonauts

Half in jest but hydraulics might be easier in a 3d print than a mechanical linkage as you could create embedded fluid channels during the print - only hassle would be flushing them before post curing so that stray liquid resin doesn't gel and block the tubing

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

PR19_Kit

Hah! Now you're talking Alistair!  ;D

If there's one part of hydraulics engineering that I'm expert at it's flushing systems and ensuring they're cleared of the very smallest bits of crud and stuff!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 05, 2022, 05:48:53 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 05, 2022, 04:34:40 AM
Quote from: sandiego89 on April 04, 2022, 02:06:15 PM
Wow, so wings sweeping AND changing incidence angle, AND pivoting engines! what could possibly go wrong!!  :o

And all without computers and fly by wire...

Yup but he did have a slide rule  ;) and the kids actually did maths at school back then  :angel:

How many modern youths would recognise a slide rule even if it got up and slapped them? 

I've inherited my dad's cylindrical slide rule.   It's fairly huge and is the equivalent of  nearly 5 feet of linear rule.   It belonged to his office, and was being slung out when calculators and then computers became available..................so he salvaged it and eventually  taught his grandsons (my boys) to use it!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Steel Penguin

id recognise it, but havent a clue how to use one,  however i can RTFM  it might take a few readthroughs and some examples but, im certain id get close enough.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

kitbasher

Used a slide rule at school but would rather use what my son use to call in his pre-school years a 'countilator'!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Rat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 05, 2022, 11:54:01 AM
Guys ya know they did have hydraulics back then  :lol:
Barnes Wallis was a pretty smart cookie so i reckon he might have used hydraulics instead of cables or both  oh and a slide rule  ;D

Ooh, you 'ad it easy, we woulda killed to 'ave 'ydraulics. Me dad used to make us kids run back and forth in airframe and turn cranks to operate rudder 'n such. One time me sister got stuck int' wingtip tryin' ta operate aileron, stuck in there for a week she was, until she lost weight.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

I've still got my Thornton slide rule I bought in the mid-60s.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: The Rat on April 05, 2022, 02:24:43 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 05, 2022, 11:54:01 AM
Guys ya know they did have hydraulics back then  :lol:
Barnes Wallis was a pretty smart cookie so i reckon he might have used hydraulics instead of cables or both  oh and a slide rule  ;D

Ooh, you 'ad it easy, we woulda killed to 'ave 'ydraulics. Me dad used to make us kids run back and forth in airframe and turn cranks to operate rudder 'n such. One time me sister got stuck int' wingtip tryin' ta operate aileron, stuck in there for a week she was, until she lost weight.

:lol: :lol: Ratty ...that reminds me of Parkinson and Clarkson talking on Top Gear  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 05, 2022, 04:43:07 PM

As a set with a half Wagon Wheel protractor and Toblerone ruler?
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

The Wooksta!

You jest, but there one episode of Project Binky where Nick makes a prototype locking system with a chocolate digestive.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on April 05, 2022, 11:16:08 PM

No, but I had those as well. They were essential stuff for engineers back then.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on April 05, 2022, 01:16:38 PM

I've inherited my dad's cylindrical slide rule.   It's fairly huge and is the equivalent of  nearly 5 feet of linear rule.   It belonged to his office, and was being slung out when calculators and then computers became available..................so he salvaged it and eventually  taught his grandsons (my boys) to use it!

I saw one of those once and just stared at it with no idea whatsoever of how to even begin using it  :angel: Nowadays you can find slide rules of various kinds on display along with some of the mechanical "grinder" calculators we used to use and comptometers etc at the UK's National Computing museum at Bletchley Park.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 06, 2022, 04:32:26 AM
Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on April 05, 2022, 11:16:08 PM

No, but I had those as well. They were essential stuff for engineers back then.

Not forgetting Sandwidges as wedges

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

My dad had a few slide rules and i did follow in his path yet ive never had or needed a slide rule..got a crap load of verniers tho..from small ..100mm up to 600mm ..havent used that one in years ..used to do quite a bit of work with large dia pipe.
I think dew to technology a slide rule is very old school ..4 of my verniers can be plugged into a computer and store all measurements  and those dont cost much at all.
Angle finders too..i just use a app on my phone for that ..i dont even know where my magnetic angle finder is anymore..sign of the times guys.
I prefer hard waffles for my wedges..sandwiches get eaten to often  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

In an attempt to get this thread back on its original subject  :-\ Here's some pics of progress on the Swallow.

The top view of the two main assemblies so far. I've done a fair amount of PSR around the retractable, circular cockpit as I had to do a lot of filing of the main forward fuselage moulding to get it to fit, and that left the edges of the hole somewhat raw. I also PSR'd the edges where the upper and lower halves fit together, and I'll probably have to do some more once the model's primered.

The aft section is now glued together with the two wings sandwiched between the two fuselage halves. The wings needed a little filing and sanding to get them to fit properly, and as I'd broken the edges of the wing pivot fairings while trying to enlarge the holes I did a bit of sacrificial surgery on the original parts to build up the pivot fairings.

Lower view showing the landing gear bays, the rear ones of which stretch between the two fuselage halves. Some of the fairing parts of the aft bays had snapped off before the build started, but I've glued them back in place OK.

Now I'm in the middle of filing and sanding the mating joints of the two fuselage halves, which isn't as straightforward as I'd have liked. While the rear half flattened out nicely, filing the aft end of the front half just doesn't want to produce a flat surface, and I'm afraid I'll have to glue the centre areas and then do some heavy PSR on the outer gaps. I may drill both halves and fit a piano wire strengthening rod down the centre line.

Alastair says it's a determined tail sitter as it's moulded and I'm thinking of drilling a largish diameter recess in the underside, just forward of the cockpit, and to fill that with Liquid Gravity in an attempt to get it to stand properly.

Regards
Kit