Vickers Swallow

Started by PR19_Kit, March 31, 2022, 02:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Cosmonauts

My pessimism about it being a tail sitter was a guess just based on eyeing the amount of wing and the rear bulb

Worth balancing on a fingertip to see if you could get away without but otherwise looking great (& putting my photo backdrops to shame)
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

PR19_Kit

That deep maroon backdrop is my duvet cover.............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 18, 2022, 03:56:12 AM
That deep maroon backdrop is my duvet cover.............  ;D

Dang! I thought you had some kind of fancy red velvet backdrop
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Wardukw

Thats plush and soft and warm looking for a back drop Kit  :lol:
The work on the model is paying off mate..its looking pretty sweet so far ..i dont know if its been asked before but ...does if have landing gear and how big is this thing ..im being lazy today as its pouring down here  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

See post #14 for the landing gear, on the very first page, before the thread got heavily diverted onto slide rules etc.  :-\

The model's 1/144 scale so the wing span, when it's spread as I'm building it, is about 10-11".
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Oh thats a nice size wing span Kit..not massive but still a nice size  ;D
Ill go hunting for post 14 .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

I've found some old soft iron rods about 18" long which were used to hold pages of magazines together. As the mags are long gone the rods are going spare, they should be just the job to re-enforce the joint of the two halves of the Swallow's fuselage.

I've drilled the rear half of the fuselage as near dead centre as I can get, and then I'll stick a short length of the rod in the hole and match the two fuselage halves. Hopefully the rod with scratch the front fuselage half and give me a marker to drill the front half.

Then I can glue a longer length of rod in there, check that it's all in alignment, and glue it all together. As the rod's soft I can bend it to ensure the two fuselage halves line up before applying the glue.

Fingers crossed..........

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I did this a few days ago, but my laptop problems have prevented me from posting any progress reports or pics.

I did just as I intended, drilling and supergluing the short length of piano wire in the aft fuselage section, then drilling the forward half and gluing them both together. It needed a mammoth PSR session as you can see, and while doing the first 'S' session I managed to snap off one short length of the port main landing gear bay, so I've suspended that at the moment until I can scratch up a replacement bit.

As I don't have a Scale Reference Cat handy here, it's about 11" span at present.

That's when I'm not trying to find a PSU for my laptop of course....

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

If it is a spare part you need I have a full kit on standby that you can call on rather than scratching

PR19_Kit

It's OK Alistair, it's just the outer wall of one main gear bay that's snapped off. It's about 3 mm x 1 mm x 1 mm and I'll glue a lump of square sprue on there and then file it to shape.

Thanks anyway.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I brought the Swallow with me (back from home...) and I've been 'S'ing it like a madman since then. (As in PSR....)

I'd forgotten quite how hard Presto goes if you leave it for a long while and this lot's like CONCRETE! :(

I'm getting there, but it'll take a while before I can prime it.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Might be easier to prime now to see what needs doing anyway.

I have the 72nd version and can't wait to get cracking with it next week.  Bits of it are highly reminiscent of a Star Destroyer.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 02, 2022, 08:16:52 AM
Might be easier to prime now to see what needs doing anyway.

I have the 72nd version and can't wait to get cracking with it next week.  Bits of it are highly reminiscent of a Star Destroyer.

Now there's a notion, is yours going to be grey, covered in surface structures, turbo cannons and surrounded by 1/1500 battling TIE and x-wing fighters

Gondor

Found this you tube video on the Swallow. Thought people might like to have the option of watching it

https://youtu.be/hC02Z2IfzkM

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....