Handley Page Harpy.

Started by zenrat, April 05, 2022, 04:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Quote from: nighthunter on May 09, 2022, 04:53:06 AM
And Tophe,
Let's not forget that even Yanks don't always get sarcasm, either. And some get grossly offended by it  :rolleyes: :o :banghead:
Uh, I was not laughing at someone, just understanding someone has far higher knowledge than me ;) <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

nighthunter

Quote from: Tophe on May 09, 2022, 05:03:54 AM
Quote from: nighthunter on May 09, 2022, 04:53:06 AM
And Tophe,
Let's not forget that even Yanks don't always get sarcasm, either. And some get grossly offended by it  :rolleyes: :o :banghead:
Uh, I was not laughing at someone, just understanding someone has far higher knowledge than me ;) <_<
I know, my cousins, the Brits, Kiwis and 'Roos forgot about their American cousins who are also fluent in sarcasm, lol
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

zenrat

Sarcasm IS the highest form of wit.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 09, 2022, 05:44:32 AM
Sarcasm IS the highest form of wit.

Very much so  :thumbsup:

Just wondering if the tails should be cantered outwards a tad ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

For practical reasons, I'd have them outboard of the exhausts - one engine fire and you'd lose half your control, and flying wings are very unstable to start with.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 09, 2022, 07:09:21 AM
For practical reasons, I'd have them outboard of the exhausts - one engine fire and you'd lose half your control, and flying wings are very unstable to start with.

Personally, I'd also move them further outboard. And at high angles of attack they would be completely blocked off the airstream through the wing body? Another idea: cut then in half and mount one piece above and the other below the wing? Could also be used as tail bumpers?

The leftovers remind me of a precursor if the TSR.2. IIRC there was a D.H. design that had a very Victor-ish fuselage, swept wings and a pair of engines in nacelles under the ings, plus a T-tail. Your rests could qualify for a 1:72 in this class, too!  :thumbsup:

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 09, 2022, 07:43:22 AM
The leftovers remind me of a precursor if the TSR.2. IIRC there was a D.H. design that had a very Victor-ish fuselage, swept wings and a pair of engines in nacelles under the ings, plus a T-tail. Your rests could qualify for a 1:72 in this class, too!  :thumbsup:

It was the De Havilland submission to GOR.339.  Fuselage is nothing like a victor and is likely the DH117 (F155 submission) with the engines moved under the wings.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

I know the one Dizzy refers to but a couple of hundred miles away from my Buttler book so can't comment on the project identity. 

It has an almost airliner-style fuselage, low-set delta wing and IIRC four podded jets.

Lee is correct in saying that the fuselage isn't Victor-like, but there is a passing resemblance to the design in Fred's photo courtesy of the camera angle.

EDIT:  See HP99 drawing posted by Mossie at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=foub7bdpi3bfr0o177dpo0dkt3&topic=12733.15.  Not the delta I am looking for (as Obi Wan might say) but there's a slight resemblance to the Victor.

EDIT 2: Avro 721 is the one I'm thinking of, see https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/b-126t-or-314-or-324-low-altitude-bomber-designs.34020/
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding...

Running low on wet'n'dry.

Note to self, consider sanding off raised detail before assembling model.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Wardukw

Ill send ya some Fred..ive got crap loads of wet n dry..everything from 60 to 2500 grit  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Wooksta!

Don't bother with wet and dry, get some flexible foam backed sanding pads, of the type you get in auto repair stores.  But get them via ebay as offcuts.  A few pounds or Aus Dollars should get you a small cushion size pack that will last a good ten years or so.  I've done that for the last few years.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

I'd agree with Lee there, those pads are the business for getting rid of rivets, and for the heavy duty part of the dreaded PSR.

I still use small bits of wet-and-dry for getting into nooks and crannies where the pads won't reach, but otherwise it's pads every time for me.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I have some pads, which admittedly have seen better days.  Although worn out pads are great for a final polish.
I like to use a combination of sanding sticks, wet'n'dry (with and without a wooden block), and sanding pads.

Put on a guide coat of primer today.  Needs more filler and there is raised detail I missed.
Fred

Wardukw

I like Lee's idea about the off cuts as sanding pads aint cheap here (nothing is really) and i do use em on cars or trucks i work on here ..when there work these days  :lol:
The only issue ive got is that bloody mail thingy..takes so long to get stuff and im inpatient and theres the annoyance of it not turning up at all.
I do use my buggered pads for the same thing as Fred..great for finishing work..on both models and 1/1 scale stuff too  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .