Handley Page Harpy.

Started by zenrat, April 05, 2022, 04:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

I use the foam-cored emery boards that they sell in every supermarket as well as at beautician supply stores.  They come in a variety of grits, from "major erosion" to "high gloss".  They're not expensive, and they can be cut to fit any nook or cranny. 

However, because they're soft-centres, they're not the best for making something flat - or removing rivets.  For that I use Swiss files or even regular files - I have one that's 12" long by 2" wide, rough as sharkskin (it's used only rarely for removing vast amounts of material).  I have another that I use a lot - it's a double-mill cut 8"x 3/4".  It's good for, oh, rounding the square profile leading edge of an X-wing's wing to an airfoil-ish shape - which I'd complete the shaping of with the afore-mentioned foam-cores, in various grits.  :)

Just my tuppence ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Yes, sometimes you need a SERIOUS file to get rid of some of lumps and bumps that are so common while building proper Whiffs.   ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

No off cuts on Aussie evil-bay (that I could find anyway) but 40 pads of various grits was a reasonable price.
Should arrive first week of June.

No work on this today due to family duties.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Awaiting more abrasives but I did smear more PPP on it.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Sanding pads arrived.  40 in a bag.  Much smaller than I expected but then I went back and studied the e-bay page and found the single reference to their size (in a photo you only find when you scroll through all the others) and it turns out I have not been ripped off but was making an assumption (and we all know what assumption is the mother of don't we*).
Price is still acceptable, but not as acceptable as I thought.  I shall be mentioning it in the feedback which will be positive if and only if they stop nagging me to leave it.

However, they work and I think the Harpy may be ready for colour.

*it rhymes with "all muck up".
Fred

Wardukw

A mistake i think we have all made Fred and a bloody annoying one at that .
We where told in the army ..the moment you assume something your wrong ...bloody annoying  :-\
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

No colour yet (although I have decided on the scheme) as some ghosting had to be dealt with and I realised I had yet to glue the vertical tails on.

Fred

Captain Canada

That's a neat looking machine ! I like the idea of using the leftover parts as well.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

Hmmmmm ghosting sounds like a good idea for my upcoming B58 wiffy..ghosting the colours with 3 different grays .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Tails is on.  I went for an outboard position so as to increase turning moment from the rudders.

A few licks of putty, a check coat of primer, and this'll be ready for paint.

When did the RAF stop painting prototypes camo over yellow with the P in the circle?

Handley Page Harpy WIP 10-06-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Old Wombat

Oh, she is looking good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2022, 05:23:37 AM

When did the RAF stop painting prototypes camo over yellow with the P in the circle?

IIRC it was around the end of WWII, after that most of them seemed to be NMF, but many still carried the 'P'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2022, 05:23:37 AM

Quickly scanning my copy of "British Experimental Turbojet Aircraft" the yellow undersides seems to end with the end of WWII, but the yellow P in a circle continues through to 1951 and the Fairey FD 1 although it had lost it by 1952.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Thanks guys.  I'll be rethinking my paintjob then.  NMF is out of the question unless I rescribe it* but maybe anti-flash white with the pale roundels and P on the tails...

*no.
Fred

Tophe

very nice model, inventive, confirmed! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]