Handley Page Harpy.

Started by zenrat, April 05, 2022, 04:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

Quote from: zenrat on April 09, 2022, 03:59:39 AM

That is shaping up nicely! :thumbsup:

Will it have any vertical surfaces or just be a pure flying wing?
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

zenrat

It will have twin vertical tails carved from the Victors horizontal stabilisers.
I just need to decide where to fit them.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Quote from: zenrat on April 10, 2022, 05:20:28 AM
I just need to decide where to fit them.
Where? But that is written on the instructions! (joke) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Scotaidh

If I might be so bold as to make a suggestion, how about here (where the red lines are)? 

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Wardukw

Quote from: Scotaidh on April 10, 2022, 08:07:26 AM
If I might be so bold as to make a suggestion, how about here (where the red lines are)? 

Thats the right spot Scot and the most plausible..doesn't mess with the wings or flaps at all ..if they were angled outwards a wee bit at the top of the tails tips they would look even better.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

If it was me I would put them on the wingtips to create a tailless design.

Pellson

Quote from: Scotaidh on April 10, 2022, 08:07:26 AM

That would be my first choice as well, and canted as suggested.
My second choice would be right at the kink in the trailing edge, but, as said, on top of the engines does look better.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Flyer

I agree that they would look good placed there, and being on a static model what I'm about to type doesn't mean jack but:

I've found from experience with R/C flying wing's if the vertical surfaces are in front of the wingtips the drag of the wingtips can become asymmetric and overpower the stability of the vertical surfaces causing snaking or even a flat spin, so from a aerodynamic point of view I'm with McColm, put them on the wingtips or where suggested but on booms so that they are aft of the wingtips...
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Tophe

Quote from: Flyer on April 10, 2022, 06:10:49 PM
but on booms so that they are aft of the wingtips...
I also love twin-booms, but this is not a model of mine... ;) :-\ ;D

McColm

Quote from: McColm on April 07, 2022, 02:50:15 PM
You mean something like this , underside;

Top view

I have the Airfix Rockwell B-1B Lancer in the stash, I was going to build my version of the Boeing B-2707 with the Airfix BAC Concorde but I have dry tested those wings and they do look good on the Lancer.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on April 10, 2022, 02:22:07 PM

That would be my first choice as well, and canted as suggested.

[/quote]

I'd agree with that
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

That was also my first thought.  Or on the top of those trailing edge ridges.
But I will do all the PSR on the rest of it before I glue them on as I don't want to knock them off while sanding.
I've cut the last piece of planking and roughed out the pilots hole.  Here it is with a possible canopy (what I think might be a vac form Vampire canopy) balanced in place.

Handley Page Harpy WIP 12-04-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on April 12, 2022, 03:56:53 AM
That was also my first thought.  Or on the top of those trailing edge ridges.
But I will do all the PSR on the rest of it before I glue them on as I don't want to knock them off while sanding.
I've cut the last piece of planking and roughed out the pilots hole.  Here it is with a possible canopy (what I think might be a vac form Vampire canopy) balanced in place.

Handley Page Harpy WIP 12-04-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Canopy gives it a Horten look.  :thumbsup: I'd say apply Kit's 2d(?) Rule - ditch the tail feathers, and go to HP building off the Horten's work on the 229
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

The Wooksta!

Needs a nose cone.  Front end just looks wrong without it.  I'd also put in some sort of spine aft of the canopy for drag and and airflow reasons.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic