Handley Page Harpy.

Started by zenrat, April 05, 2022, 04:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I'll let you do that Mac.  You must have something appropriate in your stash and you could do with starting a new project.    ;)

Finished panelling the underside today.
Lego SOGgy for scale.

Handley Page Harpy WIP 07-04-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Quote from: zenrat on April 07, 2022, 04:05:56 AM
I'll let you do that Mac.  You must have something appropriate in your stash and you could do with starting a new project.    ;)

Finished panelling the underside today.
Lego SOGgy for scale.

Handley Page Harpy WIP 07-04-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I have the remains of the Italeri 1/72 X/YB-49 Flying Wing which when cut and shut together will form the basis of a new project. Just got to clear some space.  :thumbsup:

McColm

You mean something like this , underside;

Top view

The Wooksta!

That reminds me that I have a pair of YB49s part started tucked away.  One was to be MSG over PRU Blue, but the second may well be anti-flash.

Don't know where I'll keep them though...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 07, 2022, 03:07:03 PM

That reminds me that I have a pair of YB49s part started tucked away.  One was to be MSG over PRU Blue, but the second may well be anti-flash.

Don't know where I'll keep them though...

Those Northrop wings do take up a LOT of space! But only span-wise of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Do you remember the pair that Ian Hartup took to the last national at Donnington? He'd literally finished one the night before.

Mike had done a nice job on a Magna Buckingham too. Silver in SEAC markings.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

The YB49 was a very cool idea and its cool you can get models of it but like Lee said..no idea where'd I'd put it..well come to think of it id build a custom mount so it will sit flush against a wall ..sorted  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Nick

I reckon you could do something groovy with the tail from a Victor. Some sort of parasite fighter or drone maybe.

zenrat

Hmmm, what if you took a YB-49 and inserted a C-97 fuselage....

Added the first topside panel to the Harpy this morning.  Also glued on the F-106 bang seat so as to help me build a cockpit round it and sort out a canopy.  I had a rummage in my clear parts box and found what I think is a 1/72 vac form Vampire canopy.  Not sure where it came from (possibly with a no transfers two pack of Heller Vampires I got from Jay's in NZ) but it's of the correct vintage and looks the part, albeit on the small side.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 07, 2022, 03:07:03 PM

I've built a 1/144 version in anti-flash white and it suits it. One of the only 144th scale kits I've built
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Quote from: zenrat on April 08, 2022, 03:45:14 AM
Hmmm, what if you took a YB-49 and inserted a C-97 fuselage....

Added the first topside panel to the Harpy this morning.  Also glued on the F-106 bang seat so as to help me build a cockpit round it and sort out a canopy.  I had a rummage in my clear parts box and found what I think is a 1/72 vac form Vampire canopy.  Not sure where it came from (possibly with a no transfers two pack of Heller Vampires I got from Jay's in NZ) but it's of the correct vintage and looks the part, albeit on the small side.
If it's the Academy 1/72 C-97,then you could separate the upper fuselage from the lower one shaping both to follow the contors of the YB-49. You could also remove the vertical tail fin, I would use a vacuum kit as it is easier to shape than the plastic kit and if it goes wrong you've got a weapons bay that fits most Lockheed Constellation kits!

zenrat

Planking (as I like to think of it) progress on the topside.  You can see the finished outline now.  Note how ill fitting the engine inspection hatches are.  I have a lot of PSR in my future.

Handley Page Harpy WIP 09-04-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

McColm

Quote from: Nick on April 08, 2022, 01:55:22 AM
I reckon you could do something groovy with the tail from a Victor. Some sort of parasite fighter or drone maybe.
I do have the Airfix Victor, thanks for the idea  :thumbsup: