Handley Page Harpy.

Started by zenrat, April 05, 2022, 04:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Nope, doesn't do it for me.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

In France, we say "des goƻts et des couleurs..." meaning "concerning tastes and colours (and shapes) it is impossible to get unanimity..." ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rheged

Interim opinion:-  This is looking most interesting!!  Looking forward to the final result.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Wardukw

Im with Fred on this..i like the blunt nose ..the spine is a good idea..balances the look and profiles the wings better and tones the cockpit with the upper fuselage very nicely.
Not everything has to have a point or a nose.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Zero-Sen on May 04, 2022, 06:44:29 AM
The spine is a great addition! :thumbsup:

Hope Fred will forgive me for this manip...

PS: this is not a radar nose!

That's exactly what i was thinking of, keeping it flat and small, just following the lines of the wings' leading edge. But i do like it with the blunt nose anyway. The spine really smoothed things up quite a bit. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tophe

On the contrary, I have seen interesting flat noses (not pointy) on aircraft, weird but very possible: ;)
- SAAB Lx, see http://www.unicraft.biz/on/saab-lx/saab-lx.htm
- what-if dream see https://www.pinterest.com/pin/29766047526781645/
But the modeller will decide for his own model of course. <_<

zenrat

Thanks for that treatment Zero-Sen, it confirms my thoughts.
All the design decisions I have made have been solely base on aesthetics.  If anyone wants to apply practicalities to this design then they are free to build their own.  It's not a complicated recipe, Lindberg Victors are easy to come by.

I finished panelling the spine today.  Once the glue has set I can sand it down and then the application of putty will begin.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

The blunt nose works for me  :thumbsup: A fair few flying wing proposals from the 40's or so had blunt noses, so there are precedents.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

A B2 Stealth Bomber with a nose poking out the front..god no..sharp point yes ..YB-49 ..blunt nose..very nice ..some aircraft work with a nose and others dont..Freds bird is a dont..
Besides it would look funky as hell with a dome on the nose and it wouldnt be long before the crews called it a pimple.not a good thing for the planes self esteem  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Pointy nose may work with Vulcan wings.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Wardukw

Agreed Freddy mate..the Vulcan is already pointed with the delta shape and a nose would work fine.

zenrat

Started sanding the spine today.
Stopped when I hit soft plastic.  It needs more time to harden.
While sorting left over parts from Milhouse into parts boxes I found a small radar nose shaped part and offered it up on the Harpy.
It looked ridiculous.
Fred

Tophe

Yes no need of radar nose. ;)
Keep faith for the rest... not easy but I think it is worth for this hard work going on. :thumbsup:

Steel Penguin

not quite the " i knew to stop sanding when the swarf changed colour" but close  ;D
and looking forward to the next set of photos,  its looking good so far  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

zenrat

No deadline for this one so no need to rush.
Fred