Handley Page Harpy.

Started by zenrat, April 05, 2022, 04:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Wardukw

Yup ..agreed with all comments..totally outstanding mate  :thumbsup: ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

scooter

Quote from: Scotaidh on August 05, 2022, 01:13:26 PM
She's a beaut!  :)   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Unsurprisingly, I read that in Steve Irwin's voice.  Complete with the leading "Crikey".  :thumbsup:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

DogfighterZen

Looking very good, Fred!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Thanks folks.
Finished her today but I have yet to take pics.  I also need to finish the words to go with her.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Good teasing... I tell the clock : please hurry up! ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Handley Page HP.77 Harpy.  Radlett Aerodrome - Summer 1950.

Handley Page HP.77 Harpy - 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Design work on what was to be named the Harpy was begun in 1947 with the intention of producing a "Nuclear Mosquito" capable of operating from unimproved fields and carrying a single atomic bomb.
Based on the pioneering works of Dunne, Hill and Cheranovsky and utilising structural and aerodynamic studies carried out for the HP.80 project the HP.77 took the form of a crescent flying wing with power provided by four Armstrong Siddeley Beryl turbojets buried deep within the structure.  The aircraft presented a clean external aspect with only a spine running aft from the cockpit and widely spaced twin vertical tails interrupting its lines.

Handley Page HP.77 Harpy - 26 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Handley Page proposed two versions of the HP.77; a "Tactical Bomber" with no offensive weapons other than a single low yield nuclear weapon, and a "Heavy Fighter" with multiple rapid firing guns mounted to fire out of the nose.  Both variants would have a crew of two in a side-by-side cockpit.  The Bomber would have a glazed nose for a bomb aimer.

Handley Page HP.77 Harpy - 29 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The initial prototype was a single seat hybrid of both variants with a bomb bay recessed into the underside and provision for a pair of 20 to 30 mm guns to be installed one each side of the cockpit.  Nicknamed "Hawkwing" this prototype first flew from Handley Page's Radlett facility in May 1950.
The prototype was favourably assessed by the RAE but theories of air warfare had changed and technology moved forward and the Harpy didn't fit.  No further development was approved.

Handley Page HP.77 Harpy - 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Hawkwing was retained by Handley Page and played a part in the development of the HP.80 Victor, and later as a flying testbed for avionic and powerplant developments, before being broken up and scrapped.

Handley Page HP.77 Harpy - 13 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model
Lindberg 1/96 Victor wings joined with a scratchbuilt centresection.  Victor stabilisers modified as vertical tails.
Hasegawa 1/72 F-106 Delta Dart cockpit and nosegear bay parts and undercarriage leg.
Hasegawa 1/72 FW-190 canopy.

Handley Page HP.77 Harpy - 30 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

The Hawkwing is a sweet, sweet thing, Fred! :wub: :wub:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

That's really come out well Fred  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ericr

Rheged

I'm very impressed with both the Hawkwing and its story.    Well up to your usual high standard.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

DogfighterZen

That looks very good indeed, great work, mate!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"