1:72 SdKfz. 144 Marder IV (Panzerjäger III fuer 7.5 cm PaK 40/2), Poland 1944

Started by Dizzyfugu, April 20, 2022, 07:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 11, 2022, 12:06:02 PM
... a wiffy verison with the russian 76.2mm gun  :thumbsup:

I'd check carefully before calling it a whif; the Germans were bolting anything to everything during WW2 to make up for their limited production capacity, so there's a fair chance they did it for real.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Oh I've looked alot Guy ol mate..and looked..ive even had family who live in Germany who are tread heads see what weird and wonderful they could find ..it was awhile ago now and funnily enough i talked with my Uncle only a few days ago  ;D..love that old fart..hes brillaint.
Anyways thanks to me getting bored over the yrs i have thousands of pics of German armour and ive only ever seen the 76.2mm gun on a Marder lll..weird as it was a powerful gun and they rebored it to use their own 75mm ammo..same as a pak40.
Got pics of the Panzer one with a complete 75mm gun from a Stug 3 or 4 ..but when it comes to the Lorraine its size was its problem..its a bloody small vehicle ..when armed with the FH18 and fired the entire front bogies lift of  the ground ..im surprised the Germans mounted a gun that size on something that small .
Exactly what ya said tho Guy..any gun on any vehicle but its when i found a pic of a wooden mock up of a Stug 3 with a L71 88mm gun my intrest pecked.  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Yeah, my casual searches hadn't found anything, either, but the Germans were always short on materiel.

I'd guess that, if they did put a 76.2mm on a Marder I chassis, it was a one-or-two-of because there's no evidence of any form of serial production (& the sites I checked mentioned "serial production" numbers as low as 6).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 12, 2022, 02:55:45 AM
Yeah, my casual searches hadn't found anything, either, but the Germans were always short on materiel.

I'd guess that, if they did put a 76.2mm on a Marder I chassis, it was a one-or-two-of because there's no evidence of any form of serial production (& the sites I checked mentioned "serial production" numbers as low as 6).
Have gun ..will travel ..any gun matey and anything and if i remember right with the reason for the use of the 76.2 gun was thr lack of 75mm guns and when the numbers went nuts they had plenty to play with but they did mount em on the Marder 3 and the D model of the Panzer 2 but they had captured a crap load of those..in the early yrs that is.
Ammo was a issue as well..the Germans rebored em but thats time consuming and the breach mods to except the 75s shells..or even more extreme retapering the shell to take a 75mm round ..either way they didnt do much with em after wards it would seem.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Glenn Gilbertson