Strv 103 in RAAF Service - FINISHED - pic's pg. 2

Started by Old Wombat, April 20, 2022, 05:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

That is a very nice piece of work.................model and backstory!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Glenn Gilbertson

buzzbomb

Guy, when I started reading this thread, my first thought was that you have just had the busiest 21/22 Apr 2022 ever, with all those posts, plus banging out a spiffing model and back story, plus a Collins Class revision lesson  :o :o

All in all great work (includes Brian's version as well)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Thank you all very much, gentlemen! :bow: :bow:

Yeah, a little busy*, BT. ;)

[*: Although the build was done at my usual glacial pace over the last couple of months. ;D]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Martin H

Love it! whats not to like?

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 22, 2022, 01:52:51 AM
In the UK we have the RAF Regiment to do the airfield defending stuff, but I didn't think they had any armour until I checked, and it seems they operate Scorpions and Scimitars.  :o

Perhaps not in the same class as an Strv 103, but they have tracks at least.  ;D
The Rocks used to have them Kit. They had at least one armored squadron for a short while. No idea why the squadron ceased to exsist, most like a victim of the many cost saving attempts. I think most of them were handed back to the army.
A few Scimitars found their way in to some of the RAF's EOD teams once the armored squadron stood down. The idea being it was thought to be slightly safer(and cheaper) to put a 30mm shell into a UXB in the middle of an airfeild from a "safe" distance, rather than send some poor sod on the long lonely walk or waste a perfectly good wheelbarrow.
The EOD boys at RAF Whittering had a pair of CVRT's for a while. They spent most of their time using them as tracked go-carts at weekends, quite often giving joy rides to visting cadets up and down the main runway. I even raced one down the main in my my old Renault Scenic once..................That was fun! We were ment to be on the range at the time
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 24, 2022, 03:13:01 AM
Thank you very much, gentlemen! :bow:

Quote from: rickshaw on April 24, 2022, 01:44:47 AM
As good as a store bought one guy.  As good as one from the regiment :thumbsup:

Good grief! How did I miss that one? :o

Nice job, Brian! :thumbsup:

Too busy pretending to be a Brylcreem boy? :wacko:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Thanks, Martin! :bow:

Not me, Brian! :o

Too much Pusser, with a touch of Pongo (hence the Marines fetish). ;D :angel:

rickshaw

Yet I represent the real power in ADF the "Boys" from the Regiment...  :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

perttime

Looking at the map, I'd think that some coastal defence might be useful. Surely a Strv 103 can put a hole in a ship, too.

Old Wombat

Quote from: perttime on April 26, 2022, 03:39:06 AM
Looking at the map, I'd think that some coastal defence might be useful. Surely a Strv 103 can put a hole in a ship, too.

That's part of the idea. A tank, especially a low-silhouette one like the Strv 103, can double as a decent shore battery.

Not as lethal or long-ranged as a 6" (155mm) or 8" (200mm) fixed battery of naval guns but mobile & harder to hit. Numerous pre-prepared firing pits & resupply points, combined with the tank's auto-loader & multiple shell types could make it exceptionally dangerous for landing craft & lighter ships, like destroyers, frigates & corvettes (not to mention troop transports).

Against paratroops or air-mobile troops they could be exceptionally lethal, especially when combined with infantry & MANPADS.

Add some anti-ship missile emplacements/vehicles & the islands' defences become quite a hard nut to crack.

Old Wombat

In case you haven't realised:

During the 5 weeks I was on the islands I did quite a lot of exploring (there was bugger-all work to do) &, my brain being what it is, quite a lot of thinking about how one could defend the islands from an assault. Not an easy task but, with good planning & a touch of luck, do-able.

A few Strv 103s with a MLRS mounted atop the vehicle with shore-to-horizon anti-ship missiles could be an interesting addition to the time line. ;)

No, I have no intention of building such! :rolleyes:

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 26, 2022, 04:47:11 AM

A few Strv 103s with a MLRS mounted atop the vehicle with shore-to-horizon anti-ship missiles could be an interesting addition to the time line. ;)

Might just be easier to convert an M270 MLRS/M142 HIMARS to Harpoon/Exocet/Penguin launch platform.  Maybe even a couple designated as SLAMRAAM for air defense.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

Quote from: scooter on April 26, 2022, 05:10:59 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on April 26, 2022, 04:47:11 AM

Might just be easier to convert an M270 MLRS/M142 HIMARS to Harpoon/Exocet/Penguin launch platform.  Maybe even a couple designated as SLAMRAAM for air defense.

Maybe the M270, the M142 would be too lightly armoured to last very long.

Penguin would be an interesting starting point with the Naval Strike Missile (NSM) as a successor (although Neptune has become a popular alternative, lately ;)).

SLAMRAAM (EX) is a good first-line of air defence (probably M270-mounted). :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit