A Pair of Tempest II's

Started by NARSES2, May 01, 2022, 06:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 30, 2023, 05:54:50 AMTiger Force Tempest is just about ready for its matt varnish coat and what do I spot ? Another, "you stupid so and so Edwards" moment. I've managed to get the 20mm cannon barrel inserts so that the one that protrudes farthest from the wing is on the left of its pair on both sides  :banghead:

At least that's not as bad as the time I went to a model show in a village hall in Bedfordshire in the late 80's where one bloke had about 30 1/72 Lightenings on display, all with the exhausts updise down.

For those who don't know, the only 1/72 Lightning kits other than vac-forms had the exhausts includeing the slope of the rear of the fuselage as a seperate peice and this poor fellow had put them all on upside down.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

But this is WhiffWorld, so does it really matter?

A 'production anomaly' perhaps?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 30, 2023, 06:55:27 AMBut this is WhiffWorld, so does it really matter?

A 'production anomaly' perhaps?

A man after my own heart  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Classic " She'll be fine mate " 👌 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Right the Tiger Force Tempest is on finals - matt varnish, fiddly bits then canopy and she'll be done. SEAC one has been painted but I've some touching up of the white theatre markings to do where my masking let me down before I can move on, but she's getting there.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
I take it that the Tempest is flying the same finals as the Hornet?
Can the pilots see each other?  :wacko:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on June 04, 2023, 01:39:00 PM:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Yup, but both being true Brits they keep saying "after you", "No, after you"  :angel:

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 05, 2023, 05:53:02 AM

Yup, but both being true Brits they keep saying "after you", "No, after you"  :angel:
Hahaha 😆 😂 😆

NARSES2

Whilst waiting for paint to dry on my One Week build I got the transfers on the SEAC bird. She's starting to come to life now. I want to get both the Tempests and the Hornet complete and then photo them together, so hopefully by the end of this month.

Rheged

I trust that they have been formally introduced to each other!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on June 17, 2023, 06:26:14 AM

I trust that they have been formally introduced to each other!

Of course, both belong to the RAF Club in Piccadilly  ;)

NARSES2

Both are now finished. Might be next week before photos however as I'm a busy at the moment and then off for a few days.

NARSES2

Earlier than thought here's the finished pair, both of whom nearly took that long walk of ignominy to The Bin  :-\ 

All I'll say is what a pain. The basic Mk V/VI kit is very nice, but the fit of the Centaurus engine and cowling is terrible to put it mildly. These nearly got binned and the Tempest II is one of my favourite aircraft. Finished mainly with Xtracrylic's and Humbrol and transfers from the spares box.

Would I build another ? I am ! Although I'm tackling it in a completely different way than that suggested by the instructions so we shall see how that goes.

Firstly the SEAC aircraft

Hawker Tempest Mk II serving with 34 Sqd SEAC, Burma 1946.

NARSES2

And its compatriot serving with 183 Sqd Tiger Force January 1946.

NARSES2

The pair posing for a family photo