On the backs of elephants and turtles

Started by Caveman, May 07, 2022, 12:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

Wasnt sure where to put this. It has felt more like figure painting than anything else, so here it is:

The Discworld

secretprojects forum migrant

Nick

Now that is superb! Pterry would have loved to see that and if you put on a Pratchett/Discworld forum or FB it will go down a storm.

Brilliant  :thumbsup: :wub:

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

perttime

That must be pretty small - unless your paint containers are extremely large scale.

Caveman

Quote from: perttime on May 07, 2022, 09:07:33 PM
That must be pretty small - unless your paint containers are extremely large scale.

Standard scale paint pots. It is a small model ~10cm diameter. A limitation of printing it in one piece on a resin printer.

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Old Wombat

Brilliant! My favourite world on my favourite site! ;D ;D ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Not to detract from the excellence of the work - your painting is very very good - but I have always pictured the elephants facing at 90 degrees to how they are here so that they can spend eternity walking laps around Great A'Tuin's shell.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Caveman

Quote from: zenrat on May 08, 2022, 04:55:10 AM
Not to detract from the excellence of the work - your painting is very very good - but I have always pictured the elephants facing at 90 degrees to how they are here so that they can spend eternity walking laps around Great A'Tuin's shell.

It's an interesting point and one which I had wondered about. I think your orientation with the elephants trudging around in a circle on the shell makes sense. Especially as the disc is described as rotating with reference to Great A'Tuin. But almost all of the depictions of the discworld have them facing outwards. So either the elephants tramp about sideways or the disc revolves across the elephants backs. STP does briefly cover the mechanic in the opening of one of his books (interesting times maybe?) but to summaries "not much on the disk makes sense".

zenrat

I have read almost all the Discworld books and can't remember any discussion of Great A'Tuin specifying the alignment of the elephants.  Doesn't mean it isn't there though.
I will have to check my library.

Or maybe not.  Maybe it's better to leave be and just keep the images in my head as they are?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

perttime

Most depictions seem to have the elephants facing outwards. But there are other solutions too. They might get bored always facing the same way, or even always standing.

McColm

NARSES2

That is tremendous work. My favourite sci-fi/fantasy series.

I've read all the books a couple of times and have most in both hardback and paperback. I know that sounds daft, but I have, what is to me at least, a perfectly logical reason for having them  ;). I attended all of the Discworld Conferences whilst Terry was alive and had the great pleasure of meeting him many times. On one occasion me and my mate spent most of the afternoon chatting with him in the hotel bar. It's a long story, some of the lads know it as I've probably bored them with it enough  ;), but a bit long winded for here. However I do feel Terry would of absolutely adored your depiction of his world  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 09, 2022, 06:37:26 AM
I attended all of the Discworld Conferences whilst Terry was alive and had the great pleasure of meeting him many times. On one occasion me and my mate spent most of the afternoon chatting with him in the hotel bar.

I am now, Officially, extremely jealous! :-X
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Leading Observer

Quote from: perttime on May 08, 2022, 05:55:09 AM
Most depictions seem to have the elephants facing outwards. But there are other solutions too. They might get bored always facing the same way, or even always standing.

And earthquakes could be explained by the Elephants changing direction when bored
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures