On the backs of elephants and turtles

Started by Caveman, May 07, 2022, 12:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: perttime on May 14, 2022, 07:26:32 AM
Good Omens is not Discworld, but the attitudes and fun are there.

... Or you could pick a central character and follow the career. City Watch, Tiffany Aching, or Moist von Lipwig, for example.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Novels

Yup. I should of said it wasn't Discworld (it's the "Real" one), but it's of the ilk.

Totally agree with the suggestion that you can pick a character. Mine would be the City Watch.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

Good Omens got made into a TV series, starring Michael Sheen and David Tennant, on Amazon Prime. Haven't had the pleasure of reading the Books, but like American Gods (also by Neil Gaiman) watching the series made me want to read the book.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

Quote from: nighthunter on May 15, 2022, 05:41:26 AM
Good Omens got made into a TV series, starring Michael Sheen and David Tennant, on Amazon Prime. Haven't had the pleasure of reading the Books, but like American Gods (also by Neil Gaiman) watching the series made me want to read the book.

Not seen that, but I did see the couple of Discworld books that made UK terrestrial t.v. here in the UK : Going Postal, Colour of Magic and The Hogfather . They were quite good, even though the characterisations in no way matched those in my brain, but that's true with almost every book that's made into a film or tv show, where you see the film after reading the book.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: perttime on May 14, 2022, 09:06:42 PM
Online stores in NZ mainly seem to quote pretty long shipping times. Not in stock but they can get the books.

https://www.penguin.co.nz/series/discworld
https://www.mightyape.co.nz/brands/terry-pratchett/all

Also, googling for discworld new zealand library finds a couple of library websites with many titles. They could be at a library near you.

The closest library to me is 25kms from me and the next ..well add another 130 kms to that  :lol:
And yes delivery times here are counted in multiple weeks not days and its quite often the parcels dont show up at all.
Its like Guy sent me some decals he didnt need..a A4 envelope took a month and half to travel from Australia to here..thats about 3200kms from Brisbane ..still terrible mail service here.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 15, 2022, 04:09:17 PM

And yes delivery times here are counted in multiple weeks not days and its quite often the parcels dont show up at all.
Its like Guy sent me some decals he didnt need..a A4 envelope took a month and half to travel from Australia to here..thats about 3200kms from Brisbane ..still terrible mail service here.

Reminds us in the UK that we shouldn't take what is still basically a good service by Royal Mail for granted  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Oh Chris mate trying to compare Royal Mail to what we have here its like trying to compare car tyres to a jar of pickles ..thr only they have in common is their both round.
I sent a Revell 48th Heinkel He 111 to a mate in the States ..it was missing both upper wings..anyway he got it within 7 days..took 8 days for me to get a parcel from Wellington which is on the same island as me..its always been crap and with covid it got alot worse.
Strange thing is tho if i get anything sent to me from Auckland i get it very fast..i brought a CAH ( cheap as hell ) Academy F16 in 48th..payed for it on a Tuesday and got it the next day..seems to be a distance issue and bad management .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Mossie

I'm about a third of the way through The Colour of Magic and I'm enjoying it.  :thumbsup:

I was reading another book and just couldn't get into it so I downloaded it on Kindle.  Won't be doing that much more, the prices have gone up to almost the same as a new paperback.  I'll be searching for second-hand copies.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

I have all of Terry Pratchett's books in either paperback or hardback.  Some of the paperback copies are due for replacement, nearly coming apart in a most embarrassing way.  I have read them all multiple times.  My favourites vary between the Witches and the City Watch.  All are worth reading.  Each re-reading allows new gems to be discovered and re-discovered.  My kids often wonder what I am chortling over when I read them.  They are well worth the study. :wacko: :wacko:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on May 24, 2022, 06:14:44 AM
I have all of Terry Pratchett's books in either paperback or hardback.  Some of the paperback copies are due for replacement, nearly coming apart in a most embarrassing way.  I have read them all multiple times.  My favourites vary between the Witches and the City Watch.  All are worth reading.  Each re-reading allows new gems to be discovered and re-discovered.  My kids often wonder what I am chortling over when I read them.  They are well worth the study. :wacko: :wacko:

Amen, brother! :thumbsup:

(Although I only have "most" of his books.)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Also, googling for discworld new zealand library finds a couple of library websites with many titles. They could be at a library near you.

They are.

Though as you're out in the Boonies, it's a bit problematic.

2nd-hand bookstores would be a good way to go, try Hard to Find in Auckland - worth a look-in when you are next in the Smoke.
https://www.hardtofind.co.nz/

Be prepared, though... it's a bit of a time-sink, but it's worth it.

And yeah, my personal recommendations are the City Watch series, the Moist von Lipwig series and most of the Death (sorry, DEATH) series.  ;D :thumbsup:

zenrat

Wasn't until the third read of Pyramids that I got the Asassins/Driving Test joke.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

A lot of people listen to the audio versions while driving or even model making. They've just released a new batch of these by different actors. Apparently the old Nigel Planer versions are to be avoided....

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 25, 2022, 04:57:15 AM

Wasn't until the third read of Pyramids that I got the Asassins/Driving Test joke.

That's the beauty of them. You will suddenly get a joke after you've missed it a few times previously. Some of them are subtle, but others are simply gentle  ;D

Wardukw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on May 24, 2022, 07:11:46 PM

They are.

Though as you're out in the Boonies, it's a bit problematic.

2nd-hand bookstores would be a good way to go, try Hard to Find in Auckland - worth a look-in when you are next in the Smoke.
https://www.hardtofind.co.nz/

Be prepared, though... it's a bit of a time-sink, but it's worth it.

And yeah, my personal recommendations are the City Watch series, the Moist von Lipwig series and most of the Death (sorry, DEATH) series.  ;D :thumbsup:
Oh i know the hard to find book shop mate ..been there dozens of times ..hell i was in Onehunga last Wednesday  ;D
But like most times when im in Auckland im there for much more important reasons and time always seems to bugger off far to quickly .

Rheged

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 29, 2022, 03:24:42 AM
time always seems to bugger off far to quickly .

That, sir, is one of the universal rules of life!!!  I think we could all do with a few more hours in the day, at some point in our lives.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet