Cierva-Nemeth VSTOL, 1/35 scale

Started by frank2056, May 09, 2022, 10:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

That's looking clean Frank and its comin along very nicely  :thumbsup:
Frank mate 760mm is not big in the RC world..ive got 14 rc planes and my smallest has a wing span of 1400mm ..ive got plans for a Piper Super Cub and its wing span is 3200mm ..yup shes a biggin  ;D ..hence why i aint built it  :lol:..ive got no room and im gonna sell off quite a few of em..dont fly them anymore and more money for wiffies  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Nice.. really looking forward to where this goes

frank2056

Finished! The registration code G-MAYT is not in use and for this build represents MAY Twenty two (the year built). I keep reading is as "G'Day Mate", which also works. I forgot to add the "Steven Paul Nemeth Parasol wing" decal:

The pilots obviously have very poor upwards visibility. The 3D printed parasol wing is pretty heavy, but both the main landing gear and former rotor mast have held up under the weight.
Only the upper part of the wing is printed - I glued on a styrene sheet to the bottom side and forced it into an airfoil shape.

These pictures were shot on my recently re-surfaced patio. The railing is going to be painted soon, so I thought I'd make good use of the new patio surface and sunlight, while I can.

Front view with a 1/35 scale 3D print of a scanned person, from ReedOak (not fully painted):

The wing is held in place with some poster putty and a square plastic rod.

I copied the Cierva Autogiro Company address from a period ad. The 22 on the rotor housing is the year I finished the model:

The tailwheel was not happy with the full weight of the model so I had to add a brass rod to support it. The rod between the flap and the fuselage actually helps keep the wing aligned.

I painted the tiny rudder/trim tab? rust red to give the plane some color contrast. The main wheels are from an old Monogram 1/48 Me-262. I replaced the molded brake line (?) with a thin styrene rod bent to shape:

There isn't much weathering at all, since this plane would have been kept clean. For this whif, I assumed that Cierva would have tested the wing's angle of attack, especially at takeoff. I found a more recent parasol wing aircraft with a variable AoA so I guess I wasn't far off.

This has been a fun and pretty much issue-free build. The 3D printed ABS wing worked well and the MiniArt model went together very well.

Tophe

:unsure: Uh? Is this RW prototype scale 1?
(it is so perfect it cannot be a scale model, even as big as 1/35 - not 1/144 all right)
I built four 1/32 models when I was a kid and they looked like scale models, not like the real thing... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

At least the pilot gets to fly in the shade.

Looks good.  I might brace the wing some more, but it looks good.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Thanks guys!
Tophe - the natural sunlight helps make it look like a real airplane.

Zenrat - I thought of adding a couple of struts, but it's pretty stable right now. The wing doesn't rock when the plane is banking (I flew it around the room a couple of times, for "science")

zenrat

Quote from: frank2056 on May 23, 2022, 08:56:12 AM
Thanks guys!
Tophe - the natural sunlight helps make it look like a real airplane.

Zenrat - I thought of adding a couple of struts, but it's pretty stable right now. The wing doesn't rock when the plane is banking (I flew it around the room a couple of times, for "science")

:thumbsup:

One could posit a ball and socket joint mounting for the wing to allow variable incidence and angle during flight.  Not sure why, but one could posit it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Frank i tryed the science bit with my ex when i was "testing" a ME 163 i was building..she said its not testing if im making engines noises  ;D
Oh the build..well...love it matey  :thumbsup:
Great paint and  like its not even a wiff ..so lovely stuff bud  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 25, 2022, 01:40:50 AM

Frank i tryed the science bit with my ex when i was "testing" a ME 163 i was building..she said its not testing if im making engines noises  ;D

You can't fully test anything unless it's in full power mode at least once during the test run. The 'Audible Parameter' is an important part of the performance spectrum.

Trust me, I was a test engineer..............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

:lol:  :lol: Kit
Its only now i wished id bloody thought of that  ;D

Dizzyfugu

frank2056

A ball joint would have been interesting - I have several suitable steel BBs that I bought to drop in paint bottles.

I was tempted to photograph the model on the railing, maybe on a board, but there was a breeze and I was surprised to feel a bit of lift from the wing. It wouldn't have flown but I could see it topple off the railing.