RAF 203 Sqn Sea Protector MRA.2

Started by AeroplaneDriver, May 10, 2022, 12:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Managing a little bench time this evening.  Got the extended wings and scratchbuilt Radar pod on. It needs a bit of PSR around the pod pylon but Im hoping to get a little paint on it tonight. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

As hoped I got paint on tonight.  I wanted something a bit more interesting than Plain Old Gray so since it's going to be an RAF Maritime Patrol Sea Guardian I decided to mimic the colors of the RN's Wildcats.  Base is Medium Sea Grey with a Dark Sea Grey camo pattern on most of the upper surfaces.  Perhaps not the most original idea but at least it makes it look a bit more interesting I think. 

Old Wombat

Original or not (& it's pretty original to me), I like it! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Nice long wings.
So I can get an idea fo size, what size cutting mat is that?  A3?
Or given those appear to be inch markings, is it some odd american size?

One of these would look great with a 1/72 cockpit and pilots grafted onto the front.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

I reckon about 18"/19" wide, maybe 20" (the original span is 419mm, 42cm = 17").

The 1/48 Global Hawk I bought the other day states it has a span of 829mm (so, 83cm = 33") & each wing (including the separate tips) measures out at 39.5cm (16"). :blink:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

But the Global Hawk is just a SILLY size!

OGL had a 1/72 RAF one on the stand in Scotland and it was the longest winged model there. And that included all FOUR PR19s!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Here's some size reference guys.  The MQ-9B Protector/Sea Guardian has a wingspan of 79 feet.  That should be 19.75 inches, so I'm a hair short with my wing extensions as it comes out to about 19.5 winglet to winglet.  I can live with it though. 

The cutting mat is marked out with 17 inch markings and here she is partially decaled with a Hunter of the same scale for reference.  She's definitely going to take up a bit of shelf space! 

philp

I like this.

I started a slightly different Whiff based on the idea the Predators went surplus when the Reapers came out so a USCG version renamed the Lifeguard.
A couple of the guys did profiles for me which are probably still on here somewhere.
Got the body painted but need to do the stripes and get a Coast Guard symbol to fit plus trying to come up with a decent life raft dropper.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Steel Penguin

for the life rafts cylinders with aerofarings, a split line on both sides so they drop then inflate on hitting the water, ( moisture sensors, shock triggers, salt water acting to close a dry circuit??)  would be easy to do.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

AeroplaneDriver

Pretty much done other than waiting to find some decals and weapons and sourcing a good starting point for the sonobuoy dispensers.  If none of it comes to pass I'll consider it done with just the Radar pod but Id rather add a bit more. 

Also need to stow the gear and build a stand since I'm feeling this one will look better as ab inflight build. Plus it will he easier to display. 

Proper final pics when all above is sorted.

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Wardukw

Now ill be honest im not much of a drone guy but i do like size and wing span ..want to get a 48th TR 1   :o
Driver mate this turned out so good..the paint choice works prefectly with the shape and the wing extensions makes it even better :thumbsup:
I do know of another builder on here who will love the longer wings  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

AeroplaneDriver

Alright chaps..here she is done "for now".  Its for a GB that runs until the end of June but Im waiting for some Nimrod decals to put an RAF 203 Sqn Seahorse emblem on the ventral fin and maybe squadron badges somewhere.  Also trying to source something to make into the sonobuoy dispensers the Sea Guardian will carry.  Anyone has ideas speak up! 

So here she is in her current "near finished" state where she will rest for a few weeks.

Full backstory with the final finished product.

McColm