1/72 Revell Sunseeker Predator Yacht

Started by Madhatter, May 16, 2022, 01:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madhatter

The best solution would be to 3D print one, but seeing as I don't have access to one and even if I did, i have no idea how to use it , I'll have to put up with the kit version ;D

zenrat

Presumably the prop carrying shafts are adjusted as the bow rises as the boat accelerates so as to maintain prop position in relation to the surface.

Is the second picture in Jon's last post above a complete installation?  I see no rudders.  How does it steer?  By moving the props left or right?

Looking up supercavitating surface piercing props brought me again to the subject of supercavitating torpedoes.  In particular the Shkval..
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

perttime

I see hydraulic pistons that can move the props up and down, and sideways.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 04, 2022, 04:05:26 AM

Is the second picture in Jon's last post above a complete installation?  I see no rudders.  How does it steer?  By moving the props left or right?

The skeg under each prop unit moves with the prop to steer, and as the thrust line moves too it's very accurate. The props steer and pitch hydraulically, all very techie.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Madhatter

Got some more done  :thumbsup:
Starting with a basic lighting job for the instrument panel. I glued on 3 pre-wired SMDs to a piece of 1mm sheet styrene and then painted them clear green. The glass panel is sanded clear sheet with the decals stuck on the top. I was not able to get the glass to sit closer to the frame which is annoying me but there is nothing I can do about it. If I were to do it again, I'd cut the sanded clear sheet to size and put it into the frame and not use a single panel. I many try cutting some clear and place it on top of the frame instead. That could work
As you can see, it's pretty messy but it diffuses the light perfectly. I have just the right amount of shine.

Also been spending a large amount of time masking

Speaking of woodwork, I've been working on things like a table and interior. However, I think I may have screwed up the main frame and painted the wrong parts wood and not the actual wood. Now that I have worked out how it's meant to be against what Revell tell you it is, I can play around with it. I'll make some pillows out of Milliput as the couches look like they've been lifted from Barbie's place. I mean, just look at that single chair - it does not look like its worth $1 let alone $10k. I would so love a resin printer and the skills to use it right now....

and finally, just an over view

One final thing I will say, and that is age has not been kind to this kit (not that my storage of it helped any). Dry fitting has really shown some issues ahead. Lucky me....
Well, that's it for now. As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look
Later
Si

PR19_Kit

That's looking truly amazing! LOVE the instrument screens!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Far Khmee! :blink:

And that's not all of the lighting on that panel lit up! :o

Have you seen how truly, awfully ugly & uncomfortable a lot of insanely expensive furniture actually is? :rolleyes:

Sorry, you made that out of wood, right? Not "just" painted it, yeah? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Madhatter

Lol, thanks guys
I forgot to mention that I used some wood grain decals from Uushi something.. a German outfit I think.?
Yep, still have to attach those fibers to an LED. I'll paint each end a different color too

Old Wombat

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 07, 2022, 08:19:34 AM

And that's not all of the lighting on that panel lit up! :o

That's what I thought  :bow:

Many years ago I got some "wood grain" transfer sheet which was intended for WWI Albatross fuselages. Come in useful for a few things since  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Madhatter

hi all

I have a problem that I really need help with. If I can't fix it, it'll have to be stripped and that would be a huge shame as I do not have enough red to start over

I sprayed on what I thought would be the last clear coat (Gunze spray can) and this is what happened:

As you can see, it's gone all hazy and white and left what looks like an oil spill on the hull. I have absolutely no idea how or why this has happened but I need to fix it. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Old Wombat

I've never used Gunze products but, if it was almost anything else, I'd be suspecting good ol' H2O ... a.k.a. moisture/humidity.

zenrat

I'm with Womby - looks like humidity.  Try gently polishing it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Madhatter

thanks guys  :thumbsup: At least I now know what caused it but sadly, polishing it hasn't helped. I tried wet sanding a small section at the back there and it just went straight through to the plastic  :banghead:
Stripping it right back is looking more and more like an upcoming reality  :rolleyes:

philp

I had that happen with an old can of Testors Dullcote.
I was able to repaint over it.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies