Diverterless Typhoon

Started by Firefox, May 18, 2022, 03:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefox

Since seeing the Chinese J-10C, I am interested to see how a diverterless Typhoon look like since both aircraft fit similar profile. I'm using the Revell 1/72 Typhoon as base. Converting the air intakes into diverterless is trickier than I thought. But alas, it turns out not too bad  ;D

perttime

Oh! That looks much more interesting than I expected.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

:thumbsup:

What is the purpose of diverters anyway?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

It simplifies the aircraft's construction. The special intake shape with the hump eliminates the need for a splitter plate, while compressing the air to slow it down from supersonic to subsonic speeds. The benefit: it's a static arrangement, no mechanics, simple and light.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: zenrat on May 18, 2022, 04:52:43 AM
:thumbsup:

What is the purpose of diverters anyway?

If you mean the splitter plate it separates the main airflow from the boundary layer of air that attaches to the surface of the aircraft.  Boundary layer air reaching the engine compressor face can cause some nasty issues with airflow. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

CammNut

In the case of the F-35, the divertless supersonic inlet reduces radar cross-section by eliminating the inlet splitter, which the F-22 still had. ButI do think it limits top speed 

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: CammNut on May 18, 2022, 04:42:22 PM
In the case of the F-35, the divertless supersonic inlet reduces radar cross-section by eliminating the inlet splitter, which the F-22 still had. ButI do think it limits top speed

The F-22 splitter was carefully designed and heavily treated with RAM and it is the reason the F-22 is M2.0+ and the F-35 is M1.5ish.  There is a limit to what you can achieve without moving parts to shape the airflow into the compressor face. 

zenrat

Thanks folks.  Glad they have a purpose other than creating a hard to paint area next to the cockpit.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Firefox

I read from some where saying that the diverterless aircraft can fly up to Mach 1.8 max. Splitter does have its usefulness.

Wardukw

Amen on that Fred..they can be a right bugger to paint  ;D
I thought that the splitter was there to smooth the air goung into the turbines as dirty air? can really make a turbine not preform as its full potential ..but hell fix things with pistons not blades   ;D
The model looks quite strange without that blade in the intake but that dont detract from the fact its a bloody nice build  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

AeroplaneDriver

Yeah, getting back to the model at hand rather than the mechanics of airflow, that is a very cool looking Typhoon.  The one part of the Typhoon I always found a bit ugly was the intake with the big splitter and the VG lip.  I really like the look of this one a lot better.   :wub:

Tophe

Is this a low-cost (made in China) Typhoon II? :unsure: ;D
We (too much expensive) Westerners can now be thrown to garbage... ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rick Lowe

Nice and different look to that.  :thumbsup: