Rigging a Boat Model

Started by Mossie, May 18, 2022, 04:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

A family member sails a lot and has asked me & my daughter if we can make a model yacht for her.  Does anyone have any experience of, or know of a decent source for rigging ship models?

I've ordered this kit, Mirage Hobby's S/Y Opty.  I've read on the net that it goes together well, but I don't believe it comes with rigging thread or any attachments.  There's a rigging diagram, but it looks like a spiders web!  I thought it'd be simple at first, but it's looking more complicated than I expected.

Cheers!

Simon
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Good luck!

IMHO, the rigging method is much up to personal preferrences. I have seen people using simple (old-school) black sewing thread, fishing lines or even very thin wire or heated and streched sprue material for this stunt.

Rheged

If rigging yachts is anything like rigging biplanes, my advice is never to work for 20 minutes maximum without a rest for your eyes and fingers. Zenrat might have  further words of wisdom; he is/was building and rigging the Sea Witch for his brother in law.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

I am indeed rigging the Sea Witch.
This is a 1/96 Clipper Ship.  I can say with certainty that I will not be rigging another ship of this size in a hurry.

I am using the sewing thread Lindberg supplied with the kit.  I am securing it with a combination of knots and superglue.  My technique is improving as I go but it's still not exactly show standard.
I would advise you to not rush things and only work on it when you feel it.
Work in a comfortable position you can maintain for a while.  I have the Ship on a bench lifted up on some paint cans so that the masts are at eye level.  When I get on a roll I will work on it for up to two hours at a time.
Make sure you have good lighting.  I use a head torch and wear my close up specs.
Use sharp scissors. I also use forceps and toothpicks.  I bought some rigging tools (a bit like long crochet hooks) but found I don't really need them.
Work from the inside out (I am lucky with the Sea Witch, the instructions are clear and well written - so far).
Do not pull the lines too tight, you will bend the masts out of alignment.  Regularly check the view along the centreline of the ship to make sure you haven't pulled a mast over to one side (don't ask me  how I know this etc).
If I was buying the lines myself rather than using what was in the kit I would use something with some stretch so I could get them tight without putting tension on the structural parts of the ship.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Thanks all. :thumbsup:
Fred, your experience will be very useful,cheers.  Good luck with the rest of the Sea Witch. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One thing I'm finding is the online guides are for tall ships.  The techniques are applicable, but I'm scratching my head trying to work out the similarities and differences.

S/Y Opty was the first Polish yacht to circumnavigate the earth.  It was modified from a standard yacht,so I may just model it as a generic sailboat, that way I can loose the extra sail it carried and save some rigging.  I've got an Airfix 1/130 Cutty Sark in the stash so any experience gained will be helpful.

I can't find a build article on the Opty, but there's one on the Mirages's Polenez that's useful:
https://modelwork.pl/topic/9309-sy-polonez-mirage-hobby-150/
https://modelwork.pl/topic/9309-sy-polonez-mirage-hobby-150/
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Joe C-P

One possibility is fine fake hair, which is just stretchye enough without being too taut.

Depending on the scale, you also might find pre-created rigging, either with stick-and-string or photo-etch.

JoeCP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

jcf

Opty is a Bermuda rigged* yawl, I'd suggest looking at photos of similar yawls.
Also you'll want to do the standing rigging first, this is the mast stays etc., the
stuff that doesn't move (well usually, it's always interesting when a stay lets go
when you're under sail  ;) ). Then the running rigging the lines that control the
sail position: halyards, sheets** etc.

Mirage kit build on a French modelling site:
http://www.modelismenaval-amiens.fr/voilier-opty/

A nice photo of Opty from the above site.

Build on Polish forum:
https://modelwork.pl/topic/29208-opty-quotna-faliquot-150-miragehobby/#comment-584399

*Also called Marconi rig because the mast looks like an early radio antenna when
rigged.

**The sheets are the lines that attach to the foot of the sail/boom to control its
position port & stbd of centre.

zenrat

I've completed most of the Sea Witch standing rigging.  Just the shrouds and ratlines left to do.
Then comes the fun of the yards, sails and running rigging.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Mossie

Thanks again all. :thumbsup:

Jon, those builds will be useful. I like the water effects but I might keep it simple.

I'm starting to get my head around the rigging.  I'm going to take a trip to the local marina so I can get a good look at similar rigging in three dimensions.

Mossie

Arrived the other day.  As suspected, no rigging included, diagram is confusing, especially to the uninitiated.  Many of the build articles swap the plastic barrier posts for wire, they're slightly chunky so I might do the same.

However, I'm looking at the way the hull is oriented on the sprues and I'm getting sci-fi ideas....

zenrat

Quote from: Mossie on May 27, 2022, 05:07:33 AM
...However, I'm looking at the way the hull is oriented on the sprues and I'm getting sci-fi ideas....

Hmmmm, i'm thinking Trigan Empire flyer...
Fred

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on May 27, 2022, 05:26:21 AM
...However, I'm looking at the way the hull is oriented on the sprues and I'm getting sci-fi ideas....

That's not a thought that occurred to me, but I can clearly see where you are coming from.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on May 27, 2022, 10:40:28 AM
Quote from: zenrat on May 27, 2022, 05:26:21 AM

That's not a thought that occurred to me, but I can clearly see where you are coming from.

As can I
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.