Operational Pancake.

Started by PR19_Kit, May 20, 2022, 09:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Where will it be operating?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Late to the party, but I'd go inside as well very much for the reason Zenrat has given.

Must admit I enjoyed mine when I built it, but that was straight out of the box, apart from the markings.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Going inside makes sense to me for the reason that with the propellors moved outwards there will be more space for forward firing munitions, guns and rockets for example.
Also, I think it would look prettier.  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 21, 2022, 05:27:54 AM

Hm, good question.

The backstory for the trainer says the operational Pancakes only saw action during the Lebanon Crisis in 1958, supporting the Marines there, and also saw some action for a short while during the early days of the VietNam conflict.

Of course that can always be changed, in line with Kit's 2nd Law of Whiffing.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

The biggest negative to the inside extension is the handling issues raised by AeroplaneDriver.

Moving the line of thrust (where the engines are doesn't matter that much) further out from the centre-line reduces the general handling of the aircraft & is a major concern if you lose an engine, creating extra yaw, especially, both of which would require larger vertical stabilisers & control surfaces, which would increase drag & slow the aircraft down.

Increasing engine power will give you more speed, to make up for the extra drag, but it won't help with the handling issues & may require even larger vertical stab's & control surfaces for engine-out handling.

My vote is for outboard of the prop's.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Losing an engine isn't, and wasn't, a problem for a Pancake.

Both engines were coupled by a cross shaft connecting both props, so any one engine could drive both props at the same time, just like a V-22 does these days.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 21, 2022, 08:14:18 AM
Quote from: zenrat on May 21, 2022, 05:27:54 AM

Hm, good question.

The backstory for the trainer says the operational Pancakes only saw action during the Lebanon Crisis in 1958, supporting the Marines there, and also saw some action for a short while during the early days of the VietNam conflict.

Of course that can always be changed, in line with Kit's 2nd Law of Whiffing.  ;D

If it's operating in Vietnam there's always the experimental Olive green over white that the U.S. Navy trialed?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on May 21, 2022, 12:01:45 PM

If it's operating in Vietnam there's always the experimental Olive green over white that the U.S. Navy trialed?

I quite like the sound of that, yes.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 21, 2022, 08:18:13 AM

Both engines were coupled by a cross shaft connecting both props, so any one engine could drive both props at the same time, just like a V-22 does these days.

Did not know that but it makes sense. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on May 21, 2022, 08:38:04 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 21, 2022, 08:18:13 AM

Did not know that but it makes sense. 

I did not know that but was going to suggest it.

What will its mission be?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

The Current backstory says it's close air support, for the Marines mostly.

By the time the Pancake was operational air superiority was all-jet, and it's almost VSTOL capabilities meant it could operate from landing ships as well as carriers.

Regards
Kit

McColm

What about adding two more engines ? McColm's first law ' if it looks underpowered add more engines '.

PR19_Kit

It wouldn't fit the already written backstory, and would probably be unnecessary as the twin turbines already give twice the power of the original radials anyway.

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 22, 2022, 09:24:20 AM
It wouldn't fit the already written backstory, and would probably be unnecessary as the twin turbines already give twice the power of the original radials anyway.
A pair of turbojets?

Flyer

I would like a kit of the XF5U and this thread prompted me to go have a look on eBay... Wow... I think I will have to get by without. Approx $170-$200 (including postage) is way out of my budget. :o
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.