The LHC Group Build - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, May 24, 2022, 07:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: kerick on June 07, 2022, 09:21:08 AM
I've always had a running backstory in the deepest parts of my brain about an alien civilization "collecting" our used aircraft, converting them to space capable fighters and using them to fight off some "Ming the Merciless" type of bad guys. All we know at first is that old aircraft keep disappearing from boneyards around the world. Big plot holes but oh well, Hollywood can do worse!

I'd be fascinated to read this backstory!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kerick

Quote from: Rheged on June 08, 2022, 01:06:42 PM
I've always had a running backstory in the deepest parts of my brain about an alien civilization "collecting" our used aircraft, converting them to space capable fighters and using them to fight off some "Ming the Merciless" type of bad guys. All we know at first is that old aircraft keep disappearing from boneyards around the world. Big plot holes but oh well, Hollywood can do worse!

It would involve some serious cutting and chopping as I envisioned the "aliens" grabbing old fighters and removing everything having to do with atmospheric flights like wings and stabilizers and adding space flight gear like a main rocket motor and maneuvering rockets. Maybe extra fuel tanks for oxidizer and fuel. Or maybe gee whizz engines powered by handwavium. The aliens preferred older aircraft like Phantoms, MiGs and Thunderchiefs with lots of good strong metal that they just can't find anymore on their battle scarred home world. Imagine a Phantom with no stabilizers, slats, flaps, hook or landing gear doors and sf looking engines and weapons. The remains of the wings are left in place to carry "space" weapons. Unlike many animated and live action movies any missiles used in space would not have pointy noses or fins.
Don't ask me why if they had the tech to travel this far through space they couldn't build something of their own. You'll have to ask them!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: kerick on June 08, 2022, 09:47:41 PM
Quote from: Rheged on June 08, 2022, 01:06:42 PM

It would involve some serious cutting and chopping as I envisioned the "aliens" grabbing old fighters and removing everything having to do with atmospheric flights like wings and stabilizers and adding space flight gear like a main rocket motor and maneuvering rockets. Maybe extra fuel tanks for oxidizer and fuel. Or maybe gee whizz engines powered by handwavium. The aliens preferred older aircraft like Phantoms, MiGs and Thunderchiefs with lots of good strong metal that they just can't find anymore on their battle scarred home world. Imagine a Phantom with no stabilizers, slats, flaps, hook or landing gear doors and sf looking engines and weapons. The remains of the wings are left in place to carry "space" weapons. Unlike many animated and live action movies any missiles used in space would not have pointy noses or fins.
Don't ask me why if they had the tech to travel this far through space they couldn't build something of their own. You'll have to ask them!

Obviously they lost their homeworld to a vicious species bent on invasion and conquest to strip worlds of all usable resources.  Fleeing on every capital ship they could muster they have lost any kind of heavy manufacturing capability needed to build a whole spacecraft.  But their engineers have facilities and equipment needed onboard to modify atmospheric craft for space combat. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

perttime

A Lightning fuselage could make a pretty good land speed record vehicle.

Old Wombat

Absolutely wonderful collection of Hunter variants, Mr AeroplaneDriver! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 09, 2022, 03:04:27 AM
Absolutely wonderful collection of Hunter variants, Mr AeroplaneDriver! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thank you!!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

ericr

I have nomore Hunter on the stash either, but can show past attempts :based on the observation (by McColm ?)
that the cockpit level fit was good bewteen Hunter trainer and Mirage4

Tophe

Wow! Especially the blue Mirage-Hunter is gorgeous to my eyes. :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

The Mirage IV nose on the Hunter looks FANTASTIC! Very Gerry Anderson.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Zero-Sen

Old Hunter ideas...

shaded version of the Hunter + Mirage2000B variant ...

photomanip of a four seater variant.

McColm

Quote from: ericr on June 09, 2022, 09:59:39 AM

I have nomore Hunter on the stash either, but can show past attempts :based on the observation (by McColm ?)
that the cockpit level fit was good bewteen Hunter trainer and Mirage4

You mean something like this, apologies for the poor quality of photos.

Here's my attempt at building a Mach2 WB-57G with the T.17 nose, it was binned a few days later.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

Quote from: ericr on June 09, 2022, 09:59:39 AM

Thanks ericr, your Mirage IV/Hunter inspired me a Mirage 5/Hunter, while mine is not Hunter enough with just the nose cone (and it has not waited July 1st), just here to thank you: <_<

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/Mirage8_bk.jpg
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]