The LHC Group Build - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, May 24, 2022, 07:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I've done as fair bit of surgery with the various bits, although I think more will be required, for the BAC Flattening.  It's all taped up and it looks good, although more like a single seat Tornado with Lightning wings.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

PR19_Kit

That Huntsman, or indeed any Huntsman, definitely counts.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I've just cast a pair of fuselages, using a gash mould TsrJoe gave me more years ago than I care to remember.  It's on it's last legs now.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

zenrat

I've been looking for pics of Hunters with a NMF.  I can't find any.  Only painted ones.
Were NMF Hunters a thing?
If not, why not?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Knightflyer

Quote from: zenrat on June 29, 2022, 04:13:49 AM
I've been looking for pics of Hunters with a NMF.  I can't find any.  Only painted ones.
Were NMF Hunters a thing?
If not, why not?

Quite a few T.7s were in High Speed Silver / Natural Metal with yellow training bands.
There were one or two 'silver' early mark single seaters, one appears in the Warpaint book for Hunters and I think Blackbird Decals (not 100% sure of name) does the decals for it
I modelled it using an old Novo repop of the FROG kit.
and in the way that this site cycles back on itself I'm sure I've answered this question before!  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

zenrat

OK, thanks.  So i've found pics of silver T7s but isn't that silver paint rather than natural metal?
I'm thinking of Hunters instead of Sabres in RAAF service and the RAAF Sabres were all NMF...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Knightflyer

Quote from: zenrat on June 29, 2022, 04:42:25 AM
OK, thanks.  So i've found pics of silver T7s but isn't that silver paint rather than natural metal?
I'm thinking of Hunters instead of Sabres in RAAF service and the RAAF Sabres were all NMF...

I think you are correct regarding the silver on T.7s being paint
The early single seater I think was NMF though, here's it's profile

A picture does come up of it on a Google search, but I also note the Blackbird Models decals describe it as 'finished in overall Silver' so perhaps the answer to your question is 'NO, no NMF Hunters'

as for why ..... now that's another question!  ;D

PR19_Kit

At the time camo was THE thing amongst NATO air forces. Almost all the RAF's Sabres, a 'stand-in' for the forthcoming Hunters, were already in camo.

It was natural that the RAF wouldn't step backwards to NMF, but....................

YOU can, can't you? This being WhiffWorld?  :thumbsup:

[Later] Doing an image search turned precisely ZERO pics of NMF Hunters, even the prototypes were cream, or pale green, or even red.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Were Lightnings in NMF or 'silver paint' when they came into service?

What were the first Swift's of 56 Squadron clothed in?

It's possible to imagine the 'wings of silver' world continuing from Meteors through Hunters to Lightnings

Hunter squadrons with non-camouflaged Lightning style flamboyant markings anyone?

The Wooksta!

The Lightnings were natural metal until the 70s. The Swift F1s were all high speed silver or NMF, camo came in with the F2 and F3.

If the RAAF went for Hunter, I could see them licence built in Australia - the Sabres were - so an NMF scheme is explainable.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

zenrat

Fred

PR19_Kit

Lightnings were never painted silver AFAIK.

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

They look good shiny.

My problem is going to be the weather.  I will need it to be (relatively) warm and non-humid to spray a gloss black undercoat and a shiny top coat.
Plan B would be to use an RAAF Mirage III scheme.
Plan C would be to make something up - WW2 style white tail?
Fred