EE Twin-Lightning

Started by Tophe, May 28, 2022, 08:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Today, in preparation, I made a folder with pieces that will be useful: EE-Lightning photographs to edit into zwilling version, 3D plan to direct my future vector drawing (basis of many changes including Twin-boom EE-Lightning, asymmetric and else)...
Doing that, I was surprised meeting a VG-Lightning model, versions of EE-Lightning without nose hole, and so on... Interesting, half what-if already.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

I have seen also the EE Lightning "projects" thread at https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/english-electric-lightning-projects.10357/
I don't know yet if I will use it or not as source of extra inspiration.

Tophe

Today I was searching for P-38 toons on the Web, and Google found an interesting site, while search on "P-38 Lightning" provided also "EE Lightning" jets as toons, good also!:
https://winglets.over-blog.com/search/P-38%20lightning/

Tophe

Tonight, I was waken up by pain and I took a medicine, waiting it to make effect I switched on the computer and, oh (on this side of the planet) we are already in July, 1st of July, about 2 am. So I started my EE Lightning basic vector drawing. Like removing parts from sprues of a plastic kit, with first drops of glue between them, before any whif action yet. This is the very start, yes, of what will be a Twin-Lightning:

Tophe

Ahem, the page says "today, 05:52pm" while my clock was saying 07/01/2022 02:53am". I fear that in a few days this post will be written "06/31/2022 05:52pm" (Los Angeles time? not Paris) before the official start 07/01/2022, while (in the rules) it was written "local time everywhere" or something like that. So: no need to wait 7 more hours, but I am going back to bed anyway, for 3 more hours maybe. :unsure:

Tophe

I was confident to continue simply, quickly, but... the mirror copy failed, look below: :-\ :unsure: :angry:

Look at the bottom of the drawing, like side by side jets and twin fins!
Ahem, yes, this is whif spirit somehow but too much in advance, the goal here was to draw the normal Lightning, first, as basis.
(The explanation seems to be that the source at TheBluePrints was not correctly vertical, so here the horizontal mirror produced an oblique effect.)

Tophe

I try to turn 1.0° counterclockwise (both the black bitmap source and my red port drawing) then I made the horizontal mirror copy (in blue), adjusted the nose and came back to see the jet exhaust:

Result: no, this is too much, maybe 0.8 degree would have been right rather than 1.0. This is the digital equivalent of PSR on plastic models : do it again, and again...

Tophe

Still a very little too much with 0.8 degree:

So I will try 0.75 degree... this is truly like PSR, yes... :-\

Tophe

Success with 0.75 degree! <_<

Tophe

So here is the source Lightning, OK, I just have to join the two halves:

Tophe

Yes: two halves into one single, before twinning...

Tophe

Tophe

I am sure I will not draw 36 versions before this one but this Mk.38 code was involved in a judiciary issue between English Electric and Lockheed about the Lightning™ name... :-\ ;D

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/EE-Lightning_h.jpg

Tophe

Tophe

As well, the standard Twin (Mk.1?) had too many radars with 2 copies, and that directed to an asymmetric layout:-\

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/EE-Lightning_j.jpg