Republic F-84F Thunderstreak

Started by Pellson, June 04, 2022, 02:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Looking to finalise my modernised Luftwaffe Thunderstreak somewhere as per >THIS<, I have come across a few things I'd like clarified.

Looking at the cutaway below, and available write-ups about the development and service of the aircraft (Baugher, Air Vectors et al), it seems as if the Thunderstreak featured six guns. Four in the nose, and one in each wing root. Also, low speed slats in the leading edge are shown in the drawing as well as in the texts.

Now - looking at in service photos, none of the above seems to be installed, as very clearly shown in this pic of a Dutch F-84F on short finals.

Which is correct? Were there wing root guns and slats in service?

Note that I really like to know how it really was, just to learn and adapt the backstory. How I then whif my model is an entirely different story.. ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Gunston's Encyclopedia of Combat Aircraft list the armament of the F-84 (all variants except the RF) as six guns, two in the nose and two in the roots.
However, in a quick peruse of Goggle images of swept wing F-84s I could see no evidence of the root guns.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on June 04, 2022, 02:59:18 AM
Gunston's Encyclopedia of Combat Aircraft list the armament of the F-84 (all variants except the RF) as six guns, two in the nose and two in the roots.
However, in a quick peruse of Goggle images of swept wing F-84s I could see no evidence of the root guns.

Exactly how I went about it. Confusing, isn't it?

Knightflyer

I found this picture, comparing with the cutaway is the gun muzzle port (or whatever you'd call it) the small hole under the wing up against the wing root? It'd be pretty hard to see from a lot of angles?

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

zenrat

That's true.  A lot of the pics I looked at it would be obscured.
Those tanks are close to the ground.  Although all three oleos look to be compressed presumably deliberately due to being degassed.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Great find KF! I believe you sorted the gun question.

The slats remaining, then. They are definitely not deployed on any photo I've seen, but as evidently present in the drawings.

Dizzyfugu

Another look at those obscure wing gun ports (a matter I have been wondering several times, too, because you cannot see the openings at all) - really tiny and well hidden:

I have also never seen deployed slats on a swept-wing F-84. Could it be that these were just used during aerial manoeuvers, and not during landing?

PR19_Kit

Those big tanks on the F-84s were always ground scrapers. I'd hate to see them try to taxi on some of the smaller RAF airfields I've been to.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 04, 2022, 07:14:02 AM
Those big tanks on the F-84s were always ground scrapers. I'd hate to see them try to taxi on some of the smaller RAF airfields I've been to.  :o

And even the Mk7 nuclear weapons were near scrapers when fitted!  :o
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

jcf

Here's a photo of the XF-84H showing the slats which to me look like leading edge flaps rather
than slats as they appear to be hinged at the rear and just droop rather than sliding fwd. and
down to form a slot like a slat. They'd be used during landing and would likely not be deployed
on the ground. Also on pics of RF-84Fs with the wing fences that section of the wing clearly isn't
movable.

PR19_Kit

Did the photographer of the Thunderscreech survive taking that pic? He looks awful close to the aircraft.....  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 04, 2022, 01:30:41 PM
Did the photographer of the Thunderscreech survive taking that pic? He looks awful close to the aircraft.....  :-\

Probably taken with a loooong focus lens and ultra-high quality ear defenders.............either that or the poor chap is now deaf and gibbering.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 04, 2022, 05:50:42 AM
Another look at those obscure wing gun ports (a matter I have been wondering several times, too, because you cannot see the openings at all) - really tiny and well hidden:

They say that you learn something new every day! I never knew there were guns in the wing root of the F-84

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pellson

Those gun ports are quite hidden, I have to say.

No ideas I about whether the slats were active on in service aircraft or not?

jcf

These photos, USAF F-84F, show what appears to be a separate, movable leading edge section, but again,
I think it's a leading edge flap not a slat. Which probably would not be deployed on the ground.

In this photo the same section appears to be fixed.

However on the RF-84F wing, with fences, the leading edge in that area definitely appears to be fixed.

Also looking at the photos of the dedicated fighter-bomber versions, the position of the outboard pylons
makes having a movable section of the wing in the same area rather doubtful.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/f-84f_51-1386/
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle/rf-84f_walk_1.htm
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/f-84f_fu-30/index.php?Page=2
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/rf-84f_c-274/